X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spasticteapot
    • Mar 2007

Project: Bauxite

I have a pair of Neo3 tweeters, but I'd like to go a step above and beyond the Dayton RS180's used in the Cryolite in favor of a Seas CA18RNX/P (CA18RNX with a L18-style phase plug). These should allow for a higher crossover point.

(Yes, I'm trying to rip off these: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...xmonsters.html)

Also, I'm going active - no passive crossovers here. I'm hoping to find some old Alesis amplifier modules to use, but I can build my own if necessary. (I just need a lot of op-amps for those pesky filters...)

Finally, the cabinets are going to be cast concrete. You heard me right: concrete. I think I have the hang of casting the stuff, and it allows for custom chambers for the Neo3, in addition to waveguides and whatnot. (Also, I can add deflex panels without spending a bunch of money on them.)

The name is somewhat random; all I remember about cryolite is that it's used to dissolve aluminum from bauxite.

Any thoughts, folks?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Have fun?

Not sure how "up" the CA18 is but not a bad driver to be sure.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• spasticteapot
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cjd
      Have fun?

Not sure how "up" the CA18 is but not a bad driver to be sure.

C
      "Up"?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

How much a "step above"

Sounds like a fun project regardless.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• spasticteapot
          • Mar 2007

Drivers should be on the way soon.

Anyone have any tips for how I should configure the Alesis modules I'm getting for it?

Comment

• AJINFLA
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by spasticteapot
            I have a pair of Neo3 tweeters, but I'd like to go a step above and beyond the Dayton RS180's used in the Cryolite in favor of a Seas CA18RNX/P (CA18RNX with a L18-style phase plug). These should allow for a higher crossover point.

Also, I'm going active - no passive crossovers here. I'm hoping to find some old Alesis amplifier modules to use
            Step beyond the Dayton with the SEAS? Higher crossover point? If you are referring to the M1 modules (that Apexjr had), those are 1.5k XO. 8th order (electrical or acoustic not stated IIRC).

Being tailored for a specific Monitor design, it may or may not have baffle step correction. How will you account for this? There may be delay compensation for the tweeter (z-axis) built in. Flat baffle like the original (and unlike the PE example) should get you close.
            Measure, measure, measure...then build and measure some more. Good luck.

cheers

AJ
            Manufacturer

Comment

• spasticteapot
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AJINFLA
              Step beyond the Dayton with the SEAS? Higher crossover point? If you are referring to the M1 modules (that Apexjr had), those are 1.5k XO. 8th order (electrical or acoustic not stated IIRC).

Being tailored for a specific Monitor design, it may or may not have baffle step correction. How will you account for this? There may be delay compensation for the tweeter (z-axis) built in. Flat baffle like the original (and unlike the PE example) should get you close.
              Measure, measure, measure...then build and measure some more. Good luck.

cheers

AJ
              There are detailed guides to hacking the Alesis modules - It's not hard to move the xover point up to 2.75 khz.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"