HT Speaker project – Bass Bin and CC questions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wilson
    • Dec 2006

HT Speaker project – Bass Bin and CC questions?

As this is my first post here on the HTG forum, I must first say Hello and comment on how much I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and replies. There is an incredible depth-of-knowledge and exchange of information here that I have not found on any other forum, and now that my ‘road warrior’ for work days are over (700,000+ air miles in 3 years), I finally have ‘home’ time to work on a new project. So hats off to everyone for making this great place for me to get back into DIY’ing. :T

With that said, I have been reading, modeling, and re-reading as much as I can (driving my wife nuts!) trying to decide on what speaker setup I want to build for a 7.1 HT setup to go with my Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver.

Here is what I’m leaning toward and where my questions begin:
    I have already begun building a set of Modula MTM’s using the PE boxes (can’t beat the finish/quality for the $$) as mains and I am gathering goods for two sets of Modula MT’s as rear/surround’s.

I plan to add bass bins as stands under the Modulas, utilizing two RSS265HF drivers (in series) per side, in cabs constructed from MDF I had cut for a previous (yet never built) sub project. I have modeled the pair of 265s in Unibox and while trying to get the MTM tweeter around 38-40” above the floor, I come up with box volumes ranging from 50L / Q=0.67 up to 75L / Q=.61. I have read that 0.707 Butterworth response, while a good compromise between transient response and power handling, might not be the best Q to aim for. I plan is to use a CX2310 and separate amp to power the bins and add a separately power 15” sub to the setup soon.
    My first questions is what’s everyone preference (and thoughts) for this type of bass bin Q?

The other project I have to conquer is a suitable, timbre-matched CC that will go well with the Modula/bass bin combo. I (along with everyone else) have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of Jon Marsh’s RS52 center, which looks to be taking shape in the “Help me Obi Wan…” thread, but I see recently that it’s leaning toward using the HiVi D6.8 and Vifa D26NC55. While these are both great drivers, I am utilizing the Dayton RS28 tweeter in my Modula MTMs and MTs and my thoughts are that the WMTW (or WTMW, you say potato, I say potatah!) over in the ‘mission accomplished’ section would be a better match for this all Marsh, all Dayton setup. I have considered using Jon’s CC Xover, again to keep with the timbre-matching, and this is where my CC question comes in:
    What is the general consensus (thoughts and judgments) regarding CC timbre-matching and the Marsh designed Xover for the RS28/RS150/RS225 WTMW?

I look forward to your responses….
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Since you're going to add a sub I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about the "Q" of the bass bins.

I (along with everyone else) have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of Jon Marsh’s RS52 center, which looks to be taking shape in the “Help me Obi Wan…” thread, but I see recently that it’s leaning toward using the HiVi D6.8 and Vifa D26NC55
    Nope it's going to use the same RS woofers as the Modula/NatP series

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"