X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Towers with side firing woofers

I'm three sets of speakers in on my DIY audio journey. The first was one I had a local company design the crossover. I'm pretty happy with them. The last two were designs of someone else's that I built.

My next set I'm considering either going with high quality drivers and build a stand mount (thinking Revelator midbass wtih 7100 or 6600 or Seas Millenium tweeter) OR I'm thinking of going with a design similar to the Audio Physic Virgo. Small mid driver, and tweeter and with a 6 1/2 driver on each side of the cabinet. Narrow baffle with a deep cabinet. Has anyone built something similar to what I'm thinking? I'm sure someone has, I just haven't seen a design in the research I've been doing.

Thanks for your help!
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Narrow baffle, deep cabinet... high baffle step transition, diffraction is worse... and the ones I've built/heard tend to have a more "boxy" sound.

So, going to the side with a 6.5" driver means it needs superb off-axis response to sum well. Timing is a pain.

Should be a quite challenging project. Have fun with it!
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

You really like to build them up and them let them down gently, CJ.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Yeah, some days I'm rough on the reviews. Gotta watch that. I really do think it could be a challenging (and to my mind, fun) project to get right.

You should have heard me review a design for an "all weather bicycle" setup - some ID student (industrial design) decided that carbon-fiber rods and light-weight waterproof nylon shell over them (with some form of window, of course) could be used to make an excellent full-bicycle covering such that the person could go in any weather.

Given my passion for kites, and particularly power kites, I immediately saw some significant problems with this setup...

C

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

I've been contemplating a side firing subwoofer (RSS315 or TC-1000 12") for my towers. So, it sounds like this might not be the best way to go. Would it be an easier project if I made the baffle wider and had the subwoofer fire out the front? Or would it be better (easier) yet if I put the subwoofers in separate boxes?

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

If the driver operates entirely in 4pi space it may be ok, subwoofers generally can get away with a side-firing setup if they're crossed low enough.

Comment

• Finleyville
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjd
              If the driver operates entirely in 4pi space it may be ok, subwoofers generally can get away with a side-firing setup if they're crossed low enough.
              How low? Is 80Hz low enough?
              BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"