X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Branwell
    • Dec 2005

Interesting DEQX discovery

In the past, I noticed that I prefer a well implemented passive crossover to the DEQX ( mid to tweeter ).

Never gave any thought as to why, just accepted that in an apples to apples comparison, the passive sounded better.

Had an interesting discovery this evening.

In general, the DEQX will correct the mic’ed FR within predefined limits that are system and user adjustable. While the system will adjust the lower limit depending on various variables, it doesn’t adjust the upper limit, which is set at 20K from the factory.

I was playing with the upper end limits on the DEQX this evening and for grins, set it not to correct the FR above 3K, and guess what, it sounded better uncorrected.

In wondering why, given that many FR variations above 3K are baffle related and change as one moves off axes, correcting them as the DEQX does on one measurement axes, would likely cause issues elsewhere. Given that most passive tweeter crossovers do not EQ much if anything above the crossover region, I wonder if this is the key to the passive sounding better?

Will have to break out the speakers that sounded better on passives and retest.

branwell
  • Davey
    • Jan 2003

I think you answered your own question. Correcting a response so it's flat on a certain axis doesn't necessarily yield an improvement in the overall performance.

The DEQX does its job very well. Unfortunately the job/concept it's designed to perform is misunderstood by many folks. Way too much money for the capabilities IMHO.

My two cents...worth what you paid for 'em.

Davey.

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Branwell
      In the past, I noticed that I prefer a well implemented passive crossover to the DEQX ( mid to tweeter ).

Never gave any thought as to why, just accepted that in an apples to apples comparison, the passive sounded better.

In general, the DEQX will correct the mic’ed FR within predefined limits that are system and user adjustable. While the system will adjust the lower limit depending on various variables, it doesn’t adjust the upper limit, which is set at 20K from the factory.

I was playing with the upper end limits on the DEQX this evening and for grins, set it not to correct the FR above 3K, and guess what, it sounded better uncorrected.

In wondering why, given that many FR variations above 3K are baffle related and change as one moves off axes, correcting them as the DEQX does on one measurement axes, would likely cause issues elsewhere. Given that most passive tweeter crossovers do not EQ much if anything above the crossover region, I wonder if this is the key to the passive sounding better?

branwell
      Now you are beginning to sense the true complexity of the problem, and why shortcuts to easy solutions rarely prove satisfactory.

Ponder well these things you have learned, and how you might benefit from them and grow in wisdom and skill. In simplistic solutions lie the Dark side...
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Branwell
        • Dec 2005

I understand oh black one. I must unlearn everything I have learned….

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I understand oh black one. I must unlearn everything I have learned….
          No!

You may have to re-learn it, however. And it may be a different understanding you reach after your learning this time.

So, I'm curious what all is being done to correct and how it works. And why it may be something you hear as detrimental.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Rick Craig
            • Jul 2006

branwell
            I think the way you design / measure your passive crossovers will account for the difference that you hear versus the DEQX response. If you can explain your methodology I can offer some help.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Can you tell the DEQX software to smooth the frequency response before it calculates the FIR filters? Seems like that would help it provide broad filters for things like baffle step or tweeter rolloff while ignoring narrow diffraction artifacts.

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Risking becoming rude and way offtopic, but I think a good design starts with a good designer. DEQX is just a tool, more flexible then most, but still a tool. Like having a shed full of filter components a soldering-monkey and a xo-simulator and a measurement setup in one. Therefore like Jon said, when you learn more and more about loudspeaker design, your speakers will becoming better and better with each subsequent iteration. It's not about passive better then DEQX or vice versa, your skills improve with each iteration

Comment

• Branwell
                  • Dec 2005

Here are two graphs of the millennium tweeter taken on axes that might answer some questions.
                  One is raw, the other smoothed ( not corrected ). If they look unusually lumpy, look at the resolution the system is set at.

You can see what I assume is the “M” shaped diffraction ripple with a high at 1700hz, low at 3K and high at 6K. I say assume because it flattens out if I measure 15 degrees or so off axes. The bump at 15K is something to do with the Millenniums, as it doesn’t show up with other tweeters I have.

Hi C,
                  The DEQX can correct Amplitude, FR, Phase and GD. How it works? I haven’t a clue, but likely gerbles manipulating 1's and 0's like this :bash:

Hi Rick,
                  Thanks for the offer, and I might well call you up one day and try to convince you to give me some lessons :B , but to go into it online would take a heck of a long writing…I appreciate the offer though ;x(

Dennis,
                  Yes, and when one tells it to run the corrections, one uses maximum smoothing.

Comment

• Branwell
                    • Dec 2005

Graphs
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Branwell
                      • Dec 2005

TacoD,

You think I am dangerous with a DEQX, should see what I can do with a Bulldozer :T

B

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"