X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plincoln
    • May 2006

Added amp...getting some transients...I think

First off, here is the equipment I am using...

Pioneer 1014 AVR
    HK Citation 5.1 Amp

Up until now, I have been using the pioneers internal amps for powering my 7 channels. I decided to offload the front three onto a separate amp using the Pioneers Pre-outs...well I am getting a pop anytime the amp is connected to the pre-outs and the pioneer is changing inputs or audio signals (drop down to stereo from DD, etc).

Strange thing is, it will make the speakers pop, even if the speakers are not connected to the HK amp...what I mean is, if I leave the speakers attached to the pioneer high level outputs and connect the HK Amp to the pre-outs and then change signals, the speakers whose pre-outs are connected to the amp will pop even though the speakers are not physically attached to the outputs of the HK. Hopefully that makes sense...I had this problem with an adcom amp as well...

I thought it could be that the pioneer was discharging some DC across the pre-outs, but the HK has dc protection on the outputs..and since the speakers are not attached to the outputs of the HK, that doesn't seem to make sense. yet when I place a cap between the pioneer and the HK amp, this popping goes away.

Any ideas for a remedy? I'd hate to not use the HK since it would become a boat anchor otherwise...

thanks
    -patrick
    Last edited by plincoln; 14 March 2007, 09:40 Wednesday.
    Stuff for Sale/Trade
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

You've got low level DC offset in the system, allright- the pop comes from the small current surge to charge or discharge- may also be input bias/leakage current from the HK BACK into the Pioneer- only way to know to know for sure would be to scope it.

It's not unusual for there to be small offset voltages in the outputs of line stages, especially if they're not operated with a servo. You HK is probably direct coupled, which is why adding the cap makes that more or less go away.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• plincoln
      • May 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      You've got low level DC offset in the system, allright- the pop comes from the small current surge to charge or discharge- may also be input bias/leakage current from the HK BACK into the Pioneer- only way to know to know for sure would be to scope it.

It's not unusual for there to be small offset voltages in the outputs of line stages, especially if they're not operated with a servo. You HK is probably direct coupled, which is why adding the cap makes that more or less go away.
      Thanks for response Jon, that's what I suspected. Any quick fix to decoupling the HK without detrimentally affecting the FR of the mains? I'd almost prefer if it was something I could mod inside the HK to keep it clean...but at this point I'd do almost anything to get rid of the pop.

Edit: I've got access to scope etc...I just need to know what and how I need to measure to verify this.
      Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Probe the RCA hot and ground on the pre-out with it set to trigger on basically anything over, shucks, i dunno. Some small value. Then change the signal source on the receiver (if I am understanding the problem correctly).

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"