X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timbo
    • Jan 2006

Side Loaded Subs

Is having the side walls 8' away from the mains (room 25' wide, 3600 cube total) a benefit or a detriment for side-loaded subwoofers?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

That depends whether you seek accurate response or boomy response.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

In more general situations, if the designer has incorporated room gain in his design, the bass could loose some perceived extension. When full bafflestep is accounted for in the design, placement away from the room boundaries is a good thing. So increasing the distance between the radiator and boundary (regardless if the driver is located on the front, side or rear of the enclosure) will improve the situation.

Comment

• engr_dave
        • Dec 2005

accurate response or boomy response.
        Side walls eight feet away will do this??

Comment

• Timbo
          • Jan 2006

Naturaly we want it all, accuracy, extension, high spl. :W

Now back to reality, Build 2 10 x 18 x 48 towers, I should have an easy 3+ cube ft left in them after accomodating existing MT or MTM design, insert the biggest, baddest salad bowl in the side that this volume will accomadate and drive it with my 450 w amp and "correct" them with a BFD...

The side placement allows a "slimmer" appearance and somwhat higher SAF. I will treat it as a true sub < 80Hz, can I get into the low 20's or high teens with 2 15" and my lack of side wall re-inforcement?, the center of the cones will probably be out 18" from the front wall. And belive it or not, I do not have any spare corners the leave seperate subs in..

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

I don't think you'll have problems with that placement, but who knows. One of my corners seemed to work better for me than under the speakers. That is the beauty of subs, is you can place them where they sound best. I think you won't know if you have a room mode problem until you try it. But, you shouldn't have a problem with corner boominess.

With sealed subs, you will likely need to use a LT circuit to achieve lots of SPL in the low 20s and teens. Look to the Behringer DEQ2496 for this.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"