X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risingjay
    • Oct 2006

What about this sub design?

Check out this website and go down to the "White Papers" section. This will give you a more detailed description of the Sub cabinet.

I'm thinking the TC15-1000 will be a great fit. Your comments are greatly welcomed.

Go to speakers, then under "Subwoofer Box Plans" click on Housewrecker. Again, click on the white papers section at the bottom for more detailed information.

Manufacturer of the famous Zen Triode Amplifiers and Loudspeakers / Factory direct sales / Lifetime warranty
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I think it's hype. You can get WinISD and play around with 6th order bandpass alignments to see what you think of them.

My impression of them, although I have never build one, is that they're fairly sensitive to driver parameters, enclosure volume, and port length. If built properly, they'll have a limited bandwidth, and have higher group delay than a similar vented box, and will have large peaks in the group delay. Basically, a 6th order bandpass sub is at high risk of becoming one of those "one note bass" boxes that the car audio people are so fond of.

The worst part is- if you get it wrong, then not only is the response worse, but the cone is protected from excursion less.

It depends on what your goals are. I'd sooner consider a 4th order bandpass before a 6th, and I'd be even more likely just to do a vented or sealed box.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

They charge $10 for plans. Thomas and crew here provide guidance and enough details to build anything here for free. Why bother.

And, from my understanding bandpass designs are good for getting a lot out of limited capability drivers. A driver like the TC15-1000 doesn't need a bandpass design to really rock the house. A typical ported design will serve you very well and be a lot more straightforward to build.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Never really been a fan of bandpass designs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

I don't think there's a good reason for bandpass subs in home audio apps. If there were they would be a lot more popular commercially (well, I guess Bose sells a lot ). But that's not saying it can't be done, or that it won't sound good.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"