X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A63
    • Mar 2007

Please help me to build a sub

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot for quite a while and finally decided to ask my ? I want to build a sub. I have EP500 by axiom and want to build something similar or better (if I can). My budget is $700. Does size matter 12” woofer VS 15” woofer? What would be your suggestions for woofers and amps? I only have one condition from my wife—the color of woofer cone/cones (is 2) has to be silver. I like when base extensions drop below 20.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Lots of options. Do any of these strick your fancy?

Silver Cone??? Point the driver down, and she'll never see it.

15" usually offer better performance for $$. No reason to use a 12" unless you have space limitations.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• A63
      • Mar 2007

Well the problem that I have is: In order for me to get a nice bass the sub has to be behind listening aria. My living room merges with kitchen and about 8-9 feet from my listening aria I have a kitchen isle. So when I put my EP-500 right in front of it (and behind my chair) I get what I want– nice bass, but I can not keep my sub there. So my solution is and that is OK with my wife to put DIY sub right inside of that cabinet isle. My thought on that is to cut an opening in the back wall that faces my chair for the woofer cone and port/ports and put the DIY sub right inside. I do not know if I can down fire from inside of that cabinet. If there would be a way to install a sub into my floor from underneath ( I have good size crawling space) and fire it up under that isle that would be even better. Any way if I end putting it inside of that isle cabinet the cone will stick on outside and we would like it to match the rest of my speakers I have Epic 80 Home Theater 7.1 (by Axiom) powered by Yamaha DSP-A1. Any inputs are appreciated.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by A63
        If there would be a way to install a sub into my floor from underneath ( I have good size crawling space) and fire it up under that isle that would be even better.
        You have just said the magic phrase (without knowing it), "Infinity Baffle". Or IB.

Many claim that an IB is the best you can get. Search for Thomas's website called "The Cult of the Infinity Baffle". It is in his sig.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jerm357
          • Apr 2006

If you want silver cones look to TC sounds. Almost all of there subs have silver cones.

Heres the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled site.

Comment

• A63
            • Mar 2007

Wow! Lots more to learn. Thank you guys for sending me the right direction.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"