X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Line array question

What would be the smallest woofer i could use and still get musical bass.This is for music in my living room.I would like them to be about 6' tall and rather thin.

I've been looking at the DOTD at PE for woofers and tweeters.Any suggestions.

This would be for "Fill the room" type listening, not head in a vise audio only :B .
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Define "musical bass"? Also, will these be crossed to a subwoofer or will these take care of all the octaves?

As far as the tweeters go you're only real viable options are to go with the Dayton PT2B (which isn't very good in the distortion department) or spend 4x as much and go with a Fountek ribbon tweeter array, that is if you want to keep the arrays under $3000. Both will need to be crossed over above 2khz to minimize distortion which will limit the size of the woofer you can use. Jim Griffin's white paper states that the longest your center-to-center spacing should be is a single wavelength. For 5.25" that's 2582 hz, where 2x that (5164 hz) you'll start to get severe cancellations. However, recently I read a post by Jim stating that his white paper was incorrect and that the ctc spacing should be 1/2 wavelength, which is asking for a lot! If you did that with a line of ribbons or planars you're pretty much stuck using a small, 3-4" driver. With that, it's hard to recommend a woofer that will get the job done if you want to take Jim's newest comments and apply them to your array. I've always been fond the of RS150s and with their ctc spacing you should be able to keep the ctc criteria to around 2000hz. Stepping up to the RS180s opens up a whole new can of worms. Rick Craig does have an array that uses RS180s that cross to the Fountek 2.0 ribbons so it can be done, but I'm not sure what kind of sacrafices you'll be making.

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
      • May 2005

Something like this maybe??
      10 - DA135's

Dayton Audio DA135-8 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Woofer5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer with rubber surround, flat spider, and special composite dustcap. The cosmetic stamped steel frame provides a very high-class and professional look to your next speaker design. The aluminum cone offers a flat frequency response in the passband region with very low distortion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	295-330_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	945579

6 Dayton Planars

Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar TweeterMany audiophiles praise the Dayton Audio PT2C-8 ribbon tweeter's excellent clarity, transparency, and imaging. The key to this remarkable performance is the almost weightless ribbon element: a Kapton film membrane etched with a pattern of aluminum conductors and placed precisely between two rows of neodymium magnets. The result is an immediate response to any transient impulse found in the original signal.The Dayton Audio PT2's ability to deliver musical detail is clearly amazing. The tweeter's large membrane and radiating area provide higher power handling and a substantially lower cut off frequency. This membrane is thermally attached to a cast aluminum plate that facilitates cooling and dramatically increases dynamic range. The flared waveguide's wide horizontal dispersion projects an excellent off axis response. At the same time, vertical dispersion is limited, which reduces distracting floor and ceiling reflections. Perfect for line array applications. The recommended second order crossover cut-off frequency is 3 kHz or higher, although the crossover point can be lowered to 2,500 Hz if a 3rd order crossover is used.

Name:	275-085_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	945580

Plenty of bass here and no subwoofer, even for HT...

Name:	Speaker-1.webp
Views:	26
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	945578
      Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 20:56 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
        Define "musical bass"? Also, will these be crossed to a subwoofer or will these take care of all the octaves?

As far as the tweeters go you're only real viable options are to go with the Dayton PT2B (which isn't very good in the distortion department) or spend 4x as much and go with a Fountek ribbon tweeter array, that is if you want to keep the arrays under $3000. Both will need to be crossed over above 2khz to minimize distortion which will limit the size of the woofer you can use. Jim Griffin's white paper states that the longest your center-to-center spacing should be is a single wavelength. For 5.25" that's 2582 hz, where 2x that (5164 hz) you'll start to get severe cancellations. However, recently I read a post by Jim stating that his white paper was incorrect and that the ctc spacing should be 1/2 wavelength, which is asking for a lot! If you did that with a line of ribbons or planars you're pretty much stuck using a small, 3-4" driver. With that, it's hard to recommend a woofer that will get the job done if you want to take Jim's newest comments and apply them to your array. I've always been fond the of RS150s and with their ctc spacing you should be able to keep the ctc criteria to around 2000hz. Stepping up to the RS180s opens up a whole new can of worms. Rick Craig does have an array that uses RS180s that cross to the Fountek 2.0 ribbons so it can be done, but I'm not sure what kind of sacrafices you'll be making.
        Some thoughts. I think what Jim meant with his comment is that in an "ideal" situation 1/2 wave length would be perfect. However, adhering to a one wave length standard pushes any comb filtering effects well above 10K which then becomes inaudible.

When I built mine, I spaced the woofers with the frames nearly touching and the ribbons very, very close to the woofer line. I have yet to hear any issues with comb filtering or have anyone comment on a lack of dispersion in the top octaves. Quite the opposite actually.

The RS180's and Fountek NeoCD2.0's work very well in a line array. The extremely low demands that are placed on the ribbons allow them to be crossed much lower than normal which again pushes any comb filtering out of the audibility range.

Jim did his homework and then some coming up with the guidlines for building a home line array. A lot of designers calculate, model and declare it won't work or that you can only listen at one distance etc. In practice, that is simply not the case. I've had vigorous discussions on this board trying to explain it with out success. ops: The reality is, you need to listen to a line array based on Jim's later work to understand. That said, the early Linus designs were a budget design prototype if you will. They sound nothing like the designs Rick and Jim are offering today.

The Dayton planars will work fine with a small more budget oriented driver. Crossover has to be as low as possible to meet the comb filtering issue but above 2K for the planar. A real balancing act with that driver. I heard the last prototype Jim and Rick created in 2003 at Dayton when Jim had a room set up during PE's DIY event. That was what pushed me to build a line array. It sounded very good for a budget array.

However, Rick has stated that from a pure sound quality perspective the same money it costs to build an inexpensive line array will build a better sounding 3-way less near field listening, exceptional dynamics etc. Again, there are trade offs.

I've not heard the DA175's in an array. They make darn nice budget bass drivers in a 3-way. The 2-ways I've heard using them did not have great mids. The Rs150's would be much better but more expensive.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kgveteran
          What would be the smallest woofer i could use and still get musical bass.This is for music in my living room.I would like them to be about 6' tall and rather thin.

I've been looking at the DOTD at PE for woofers and tweeters.Any suggestions.

This would be for "Fill the room" type listening, not head in a vise audio only :B .
          What kind of bass extension are you looking for?

Comment

• Scott Simonian
            • Nov 2004

How does that dayton tower sound? If I wanted to purchase those drivers for a front pair...where could I find the info to build the x-over?
            My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• gonar
              • Feb 2006

hey jim, is there a project thread anywhere on the line array in your avatar?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gonar
                hey jim, is there a project thread anywhere on the line array in your avatar?
                It's a custom design by Selah Audio. Rick can answer all of your questions about it. I've had them for about 3 years and they still put a big smile on my face when I listen to music or watch a movie. Incredible dynamics!

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Aagh. my reply disappeared. :|

Anyhow. I was trying to say, I too think the RS150 would work really well. RS180 is a great driver but I think you gain maybe 2-3Hz on the bottom (35-36Hz tuning ported vs ~38Hz tuning) but lose 300Hz and probably some slope steepness flexibility on top. Trim the frames a bit on either and you can snug 'em up closer. Pair with a nice Fountek ribbon line (NeoCD2 would work superbly I think...) and you'd be in great shape. Well, as long as the cost isn't problematic.

C
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• crackyflipside
                    • Nov 2006

You know we need a line-array project in the mission accomplished forum.

Evil Twin, Jon, Thomas; anybody listen to our cries!
                    -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Danse
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by crackyflipside
                      You know we need a line-array project in the mission accomplished forum.

I don't mind making a Needle type array using 16 Hivi B3N if some people are willing to help out. Especially Xover help. I currently built a pair with 14 B3N and will be updating them to 16 B3N per side. The current tweeter is a Fountek Neocd3, but I don't mind changing it to any other 4 1/8'' tweeter and open to suggestions.

I anybody is interested I'll post the current cabinet drawings.

This would not be a true Line array, and would be for sitting hight listening, but would not be that expensive to build.

Robert

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

bah. B3n. not worth it IMO.

Comment

• engr_dave
                          • Dec 2005

OK then, Chris...

I could be talked into building an array with RS150s and NeoCD2s. I like the idea of unlimited dynamic range powered by ~1KW per side Bryston 7BSSTs

I'll admit, however, that I don't know much about line array design. My feeble understanding of early reflections and non-time-aligned arrivals suggests that a line array will suffer from poor imaging since the path from the outer drivers will be longer than that from the center drivers. That's why I've been leaning doward "time aligned" WMTMW designs like Dunlavy or my own Dynaudio Myrages. But I'm sure I could be proven wrong. I'd love to hear one of Rick Craig's designs...

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by crackyflipside
                            We built line arrays decades ago, so 'the thrill is gone'....... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mazeroth
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              We built line arrays decades ago, so 'the thrill is gone'....... :B
                              If the thrill was gone after line arrays, I'd hate to see what you guys do for thrills now! 8O :B

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by engr_dave
                                OK then, Chris...

I could be talked into building an array with RS150s and NeoCD2s. I like the idea of unlimited dynamic range powered by ~1KW per side Bryston 7BSSTs

I'll admit, however, that I don't know much about line array design. My feeble understanding of early reflections and non-time-aligned arrivals suggests that a line array will suffer from poor imaging since the path from the outer drivers will be longer than that from the center drivers. That's why I've been leaning doward "time aligned" WMTMW designs like Dunlavy or my own Dynaudio Myrages. But I'm sure I could be proven wrong. I'd love to hear one of Rick Craig's designs...

I think Fred T lives somewhere in the Southwest. He has Selah audio XT8's. Fred is a frequent flier on the array board at audioroundtable.com and is very active.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Thing is the B3's have a whole mess of problems... no bass response, and crossing them to tweeters is really tough in following rules for comb filtering. No tweeter and you still have the comb issues. If I were going that route I'd just build it straight B3N and live with the combing. By the time you're done you'll have more invested than the WWMTM's I've built (assuming you supplement the bottom end). Which is why I say, I'm just not sure it's worth it if you're after some sound nirvana. If you're having fun and experimenting, seeing what you can do within a constraint, it's a different project entirely and there really is no limit on what is reasonable. So don't let my grumpiness on the subject dissuade you.

I don't necessarily think RS150/NeoCD2 is any kind of ultimate. But it would probably perform rather well. And be quite a bit more expensive than a B3 line.

By time aligned, I assume you mean physically? Time is otherwise compensated for in the crossovers, at least most stuff around here.

Comment

• engr_dave
                                    • Dec 2005

By time aligned, I assume you mean physically? Time is otherwise compensated for in the crossovers, at least most stuff around here.
                                    I meant physically or electrically, understanding that some designs achieve it electrically (there are some very fine "flat baffle" speakers out there) and some achieve it physically with sloped or stepped baffles. The point is that with an array, the drivers at the top of the line (for example) get the same signal as the drivers in the middle - so there's no opportunity for a crossover to "fix" the path length delay.

Again I may be missing something fundamental here. Would an ideal line array be curved with radius equal to listener distance?

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                      • Nov 2004

Would an ideal line array be curved with radius equal to listener distance?
                                      Yes. The problem is that your "sweet spot" is very, very limited with this type of arrangement and is your placement and listening positions within the room.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

I meant physically or electrically, understanding that some designs achieve it electrically (there are some very fine "flat baffle" speakers out there) and some achieve it physically with sloped or stepped baffles. The point is that with an array, the drivers at the top of the line (for example) get the same signal as the drivers in the middle - so there's no opportunity for a crossover to "fix" the path length delay.

Again I may be missing something fundamental here. Would an ideal line array be curved with radius equal to listener distance?
                                        Power tapering is the answer and is outlined in Jim Griffins line array white paper. It is the DIY line array builders "bible". :T Curved arrays are not the answer.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Yes. The problem is that your "sweet spot" is very, very limited with this type of arrangement and is your placement and listening positions within the room.
                                          Line arrays utilizing power tapering have "walk around" imaging. It creates an extremely wide "sweet spot". The center spot is still the best but you can easily move to either side and have little degradation. It's kind of eerie actually.

Jim

Comment

• Dennis H
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2002

Power tapering is the answer and is outlined in Jim Griffins line array white paper.
                                            Yup, make 'em act less like a line source and more like a point source. I'm sure there must be a message there somewhere....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                              Yup, make 'em act less like a line source and more like a point source. I'm sure there must be a message there somewhere....
                                              :rofl: I expected that. Actually, power tapering brings the image to a "real size" perspective which eliminates the 6' head syndrome often comment on by "little speaker" people that have listened to incorrectly designed line arrays. :W

Man, I couldn't pass that one up.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2004

You're still saying "make 'em more like a point source" Jim.

C

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                  You're still saying "make 'em more like a point source" Jim.

C
                                                  Ya think??? 8O Nah.....

5'-6' tall performers, nearfield listening and incredible dynamics does not equal point source.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2004

This nearfield claim is the only differentiator. But only because I choose not to sit that close. I actually *can* if I wanted to. Mine aren't 5-6 foot either, just a smidge over 4. :P

I do understand the difference, and it is there. Mostly just joking around.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                      This nearfield claim is the only differentiator. But only because I choose not to sit that close. I actually *can* if I wanted to. Mine aren't 5-6 foot either, just a smidge over 4. :P

I do understand the difference, and it is there. Mostly just joking around.

I knew you were joking around and I was too. There are enough silly arguments currently on the various audio boards. I enjoy the tight moderation and focus of this board. It has become my favorite. We don't always agree but it never gets mean spirited. I like that. kudos to Jon and Thomas! :T

Jim

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                        • Nov 2004

Jim, are yours power tapered? If so, what's the wiring like?

The line arrays I built with ten 5" Vifas (budget line arrays as a test) had a 3-2-2-3 power taper that worked extremely well. I was also only using a single Fountek JP-2.0 ribbon tweeter, the most a 23 year-old could afford :B

Actually, I just dug up a picture of one before I put stands on them:

Image not available
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:08 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

The line arrays I built with ten 5" Vifas (budget line arrays as a test) had a 3-2-2-3 power taper that worked extremely well. I was also only using a single Fountek JP-2.0 ribbon tweeter, the most a 23 year-old could afford :B

Image not available

Hi Mezeroth,

Yes, my Omegarrays are power tapered. I built them about three years ago so I don't remember specifically the driver wiring arrangement but it did work out to be the same as the Linus II wiring if I remember correctly. I agree, it does work well.

That's a very good looking line array. Are you still listening to it? BTW, if you look in the gallery on Selah Audio's website, Rick has done an array with the RS150s and also an array with a single ribbon that was designed so others could be added as the budget permitted.

Jim
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:08 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                            • Jul 2005

Image not available

This is the BEST way to go , :T

which Vifa 5" is it? BC11??

do you run a sub as well, I found that 10 x 5" a side did not give me the bass I wanted, although mine run open back, which wouldn't help with bass response ;h

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2002

and incredible dynamics
                                                              I think that's the biggest benefit. Lots of cone area and very efficient means they can really belt it out without straining either the amp or the drivers. It's also possible to get there with big pro drivers but the cabinets tend to get pretty big (wide) to stick in most living rooms.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Andy_G
                                                                This is the BEST way to go , :T

which Vifa 5" is it? BC11??

do you run a sub as well, I found that 10 x 5" a side did not give me the bass I wanted, although mine run open back, which wouldn't help with bass response ;h
                                                                Yes, they are the PE buyout BC11s.

I run them sealed with 0.5 ft3 per section of 5, crossed to my IB sub at 75hz. I could see the bass being very anemic if these were used in a dipole configuration. Heck, I even have to use a small Linkwitz-transform to boost the lowend on these to cross to my IB at 75hz, via a DCX2496. Without the lowend boost they would start dropping off around 110hz, which made the location of the IB very aparent.

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Yes, they are the PE buyout BC11s.

I run them sealed with 0.5 ft3 per section of 5, crossed to my IB sub at 75hz. I could see the bass being very anemic if these were used in a dipole configuration. Heck, I even have to use a small Linkwitz-transform to boost the lowend on these to cross to my IB at 75hz, via a DCX2496. Without the lowend boost they would start dropping off around 110hz, which made the location of the IB very aparent.
                                                                  Which is why I use stereo bass drivers, rather than a single sub. Mine are more a standard 3-way than a 2-way + sub. The lower x-o point is around 120. Isn't it fun seeing the different ways of solving an issue. ;-)

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2006

Actually I'm not tapering any of the current arrays. With some driver combinations (such as ten woofers) it helps to achieve your impedance and /or sensitivity target. For the 8-9 drivers that I use now tapering isn't needed. Even if I were to use twelve 5" drivers tapering wouldn't be mandatory.

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

I think tapering is definitely required when you have the single tweeter like Mazeroth and I use. I feel this helps the mids blend in better with the top end because it focuses the mids toward the centre.

Comment

• cjd
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2004

Well, yeah. You're making a line of drivers behave like the point source tweeter...

C

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                          Well, yeah. You're making a line of drivers behave like the point source tweeter...

C
                                                                          Hello Captain Obvious!

C

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2005
                                                                            • 108

Originally posted by cjd

C
                                                                            Not really a point source. It still behaves like a shorter line array, but without the fully cylindrical wave front. Sure it is focused more in the vertical direction than a full un-taper line array, but this is probably quite a good thing because your instruments etc come from a definite height, that remains steady if you stand up. I have only heard only one un-tapered full range line array, and it didn't seem to focus well in the vertical direction. (this isn't to say one of Rick's for instance doesn't have height focus, I can only comment on the one I have heard)

Comment

• Gir
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 309

#39

Image not available

Exactly what is meant by "3-2-2-3"? Are we talking watts here? I understand that you want to have the center speakers with the most power and tapper off towards the ends, so do you mean that the ends have 3 fewer watts going to it? Sorry for the noob question :roll:
                                                                              -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2005
                                                                                • 108

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Gir
                                                                                Exactly what is meant by "3-2-2-3"? Are we talking watts here? I understand that you want to have the center speakers with the most power and tapper off towards the ends, so do you mean that the ends have 3 fewer watts going to it? Sorry for the noob question :roll:
                                                                                the outer three on each end are wired in series. the inner 2 on either end are wired in series, then the whole lot wired in parallel.

so the outer 3 on either end are essentially getting 2/3 the power of the inner 4.

This also gives a nice impedance. If the driver are nominal 8ohm, you end up with 4.8ohm. If you want to look at how this works and how impedances, spl etc work out you could download this little Excel file I wrote.

Comment

• Gir
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 309

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Andy_G
                                                                                  the outer three on each end are wired in series. the inner 2 on either end are wired in series, then the whole lot wired in parallel.

so the outer 3 on either end are essentially getting 2/3 the power of the inner 4.

This also gives a nice impedance. If the driver are nominal 8ohm, you end up with 4.8ohm. If you want to look at how this works and how impedances, spl etc work out you could download this little Excel file I wrote.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds...0calc%20V3.xls
                                                                                  wow, that makes a lot more sense, thanks!
                                                                                  -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2005
                                                                                    • 108

#42
                                                                                    just watch your +/- tabs
                                                                                    for series wiring remember to go

x-o +ve to driver 1 +ve then
                                                                                    driver 1 -ve to driver 2 +ve then
                                                                                    driver 2 -ve to driver 3 +ve then
                                                                                    driver 3 -ve to x-o -ve

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"