X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Ported high Qts use for baffle step?

I've been messing around with the 3" Hi Vis that have a Qts of 0.92. I've modeled them in WinISD (just for quickness at work; I use Unibox at home) and am curious if an alignment like this is appropriate to handle baffle step on the cheap? It's a single driver in 0.15 ft3 tuned to 95hz with a 1.5" diameter x 2.35" long port:

These will be crossed over to a sub around 70-80hz so I'm not too worried about overexcursion. I was also thinking of using these in a line array crossed over to a sub, with 20-24 drivers per line.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Hi,

I made that same question a couple of years ago

I guess the answer would be "yes, kinda", in your case.

The problem is the associated group delay, and the frequency where you start needing compensation. I think it'd be closer to 1 KHz (just a guess, but I don't believe it's near 500 Hz with a 3" driver).

Also, having built the 3", I'd think a ported setup isn't a very good idea. You'll unload those little drivers in no time. Also, they don't really have much bass output to speak of - maybe you should try using a higher crossover on the sub.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the reply

As far as overexcursion goes these will be used by my wife and possibly my parents for their computer setups where they might take 2-3 watts on a good day. I have ran my B3Ns open baffle for almost two years now for my computer speakers and have driven them extremely hard at times, full-range, to where bass distortion is very aparent. They take the punishment and keep asking for more so I'm not sure if the intended ported application would significantly hurt them or not.

Also, as far as the BSC needing to be higher in frequency, I'm sure it should go up to 1khz or higher but only losing a dB in that range probably won't be too audible. I'm just trying to figure out a way to "cheat" the BSC and was curious if this could work. The computer speakers they're using now are barely listenable so I'm sure they'll be thrilled once they hear these!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"