X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Hey electronics guys (OT)...

Does anyone know of any good electronics-specific forums? In addition to the audio electronics I'd like to start discussing here, I've got some questions on electronics that aren't quite appropriate for this forum (they're just not terribly related to audio).

Right now I've got to design a constant current source, of variable current (controlled by a uC), that will deliver 0-100ma of current into a 0.1ohm load (10mV across load max). And it has to be as efficient as possible. I'm wondering where I might find a good discussion forum to answer these kinds of questions so I don't have to abuse my audio forums with these OT posts.

Thanks!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

How efficient? Efficient enough to justify the use of an SMPS converter with a transfer function that is essentially a current source (variable dependent on switching frequency) , or just a low voltage linear circuit running off how much Vb? For the latter, a cheap current mode or voltage mode DAC outputting into a current mirror with a defined current gain transfer ratio might be the easiest thing to do- but how much precision or accuracy do you need? Beyond a certain point, you'll need closed loop control.

Insufficient data for meaningful answer...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Mark,

Prior to Jon becoming a big time 'manager'.... ,
      this info was at the end of his company emails..... :B

Jon M*** H******
      Senior Applications Engineer
      Power Management and Supply
      Infineon Technologies North America

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Sorry, we have insufficient knowledge

They want it to operate at 3.3V. Battery powered, so voltage supply may be as low as 2V. This is to drive an electrochemical pump in a field usage device, doesn't need to be terribly accurate, precise, or clean - just efficient. 5% or more innacuracy may be acceptable, closed loop control not necessary. Cost not an issue.

I guess I don't even really know what my options are, never even heard of the variable switching freq SMPS idea. At this point I am searching the net at places like EDN for ideas. The current mode DAC into a current mirror sounds like an idea I could easily manage. I really have no knowledge of CCS stuff beyond basic current mirrors...

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Thomas,

That's why I ask these questions here and not at, say, DIYAudio where everyone is an 'expert' whereas here we have experts.

Though I really should find a forum so I don't post so much OT stuff here. As I start branching out into more diverse projects here at work questions will become even crazier (my HV switch was actually doing 6.5kW, 200ns pulses the other day before the control board fried).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"