X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John D
    • Mar 2007

NS15-992-4A vs. any other highend 15" subwoofer

I'm interested in using the Aurasound NS15 in an active closed subwoofer with some EQ. The driver looks very impressive. However, I'd like to know how it compares to other 15" subwoofers. For example, Dayton RS series look rather impressive too.
    I realize the Aurasound is rather expensive and I have no doubt other manufacturers offer higher value for money. I'm looking for the best available though.

Does anyone have comparable measurements of the Aurasound and other advanced 15" subwoofer drivers? Thank you very much!

Regards,
    John D
  • John D
    • Mar 2007

Anyone? :P

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

What has drawn you to the NS15? It's probably a great driver, but for $600? There are many other drivers that cost half or less with more output capabilities, which you'll need if you intend on EQing the low end in a sealed enclosure. Here are a few other sites to check out (I'd go more in-depth but I have to get to work).

Comment

• keyser
        • Oct 2005

...8)

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John D
          Anyone? :P
          Jon's tested the Aura 12" and it's one of the lowest distortion drivers he's ever tested. I'm not sure if the 15" has the same design.

That said there's quite a bit of debate regarding the audibility of distortion at low frequencies.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John D
            • Mar 2007

Mazeroth, I'd like to hear your more in-depth comments when you can find the time. Thanks so far.

Thomas, would you point me to where I could read more about that test?

In my experience, non-linear distortion is still very important in the bass range. Our hearing is less and less sensitive at lower frequencies. The harmonics will therefor always be in a range where our hearing is more sensitive than in the range of the original stimulus.

I understand your point, though.

Comment

• Evil Twin
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

The Aurasound 12, unlike most woofers/subwoofers, actually has falling levels of distortion with increasing frequency, which SHOULD be the case considering the reduction in cone travel for the same output level. For most subwoofers, this is not the case, and as a result they usually exhibit more high order HD and IM products in the audible range, as well as greater issues with integration.

I'm sure there are lower cost 15" subwoofers with 25 mm Xmax. There may not be better or equal performing overall 15" subwoofers with 25 mm Xmax and clean performance to 500 Hz.
              DFAL
              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John D
                Thomas, would you point me to where I could read more about that test?
                All of Jon's tests are in the Testing 1,2,3 in the archived threads.
                OK, it's a goofy title, but perhaps meant to indicate the tentative nature of any conclusions one might draw- Got back to doing some driver testing this weekend. Eric Eva brought to my attention some test data published in Germany for a number of roughly 7" midbass drivers, including the Peerless 850439 and the 850467;

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tyler
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  All of Jon's tests are in the Testing 1,2,3 in the archived threads.
                  http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=265
                  Those are very impressive results for a 12" woofer. :T

It appears that Aurasound only makes a 10" (NS10-513) that shares the same design as the 12" (NS12-513) that Jon tested.

From the specs it doesn't look like either would perform as well in the upper frequency range as the NS12-513.

The 15" (NS15-992) shares the design of the (NS12-794) 12"
                  Last edited by tyler; 09 March 2007, 01:44 Friday.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

ET,
                    It is always said that adding a second woofer reduces the individual load on each, and therefore reduces the distortion. Is there anyway to look at the testing results and compare the distortion levels of 2 inexpensive woofer to 1 of a more expensive woofer?
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• thadman
                      • Jan 2007

I think it would be simpler to calculate the SPL required for 1 of the 2 cheaper drivers to achieve the SPL of the larger driver.

Example, lets say 100dB

20(10^(100/20))=2,000,000

2,000,000/2=1,000,000

20log(1,000,000/20)=93.98dB, ~94dB required per driver

You could then measure the more expensive driver at 100dB, and the cheaper driver at 94dB and compare. If you mounted them opposing (push-push, reduces even order distortion/vibration) it would be a different story however.

(sorry, didn't see that this thread was 7 months old)

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"