X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

3way XO questions

I have a couple stupid questions for all of you. I'm doing my first 3way XO for my BB project.
    1)Any tips to keep Z up in the bandpass? Steep filters and wide bandpass seem to help, but I can only take that so far.
    2) Say I've designed a 4th order filter for the woofer's lowpass. After optimization the first shunt cap comes back at like .001 uF. I could remove it. What happens when you have two inductors in a row?
    3)If I have to pad the bandpass any preference on where to put the resistor? Placement changes the FR shaping of course, but assume I can get the same shaping from any position. I believe LDC has a bit to say about this.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Concerning my second question above. The first shunt cap, C1, was .0001 or so, and the second shunt cap, C2, was 70 uF. Intuitively i decided to make both 35 uF and the FR was nearly the same. So I changed C1 to 70uF and just removed C2 and now have a 3rd order. i've learned the optimizer definately has to be setup correctly. GIGO. I remove tiny value compnents and keep others from exploding, and otherwise just lock and adjust so that the values make sense. But I'm doing all this by intution for the most part. I guess this comes back to filter Q and all that that I just don't have info on. I have to ask myself what is the difference between the 4th order with both caps at 35 uF and the 3rd order with the one cap at 70uF? Ignoring the order for the moment what is the difference electrically? I guess that's a big question so I don't expect an answer. Just some ignorance of the subject that had to vent about :M
    ~Brandon 8O
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

It's called pole spreading, and it's giving you a four element network that responds like a 3rd order network. That's not uncommon- you wouldn't normally use a full four element crossover for a fourth order response UNLESS your drivers are quite flat in the initial transition band.

You're discovering a bit of basic filter theory by trial and error. A book or two might be faster...
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

What Jon already pointed out, you have to account for both acoustical response of the unfiltered driver and the electrical response of the x-over. You can end up with a 4th order acoustical with a 2nd order electrical filter (typically the case for a HP filter on a closed box driver).

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

I see. Thanks guys. The lowpass woofer is the HiVi M4N which I'm crossing around 450Hz. I figured the reason I had to use a 4th order network for a 4th order acoustic response was because of exactly what Jon said. The M4N obviously has a smooth response far past 450Hz! So what books would you recomend? It's been over 10 years since I had calculus so I'm pretty rusty with that sort of thing.
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Just some basic loudspeaker theory and concepts- Joseph D'Apollito "Testing Loudspeakers" might be a good one to consider (counter intuitive considering the title, but trust me). No calculus required; let LspCAD do that for you.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"