X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Dipoles and diffraction

I'm cutting my test baffle now for my inexpensive dipole project. I'm getting ready to route out the driver holes and was going to roundover the edges 1/2" to help with diffraction. I just did a quick search here and at SL's site but can't find any documentation about diffraction with dipole speakers and if rounding over the edges 1/2" will help.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

As I understand it, with a perfectly symmetrical driver on a knife edge baffle, diffraction isn't an issue because the +/- signals cancel at the edge. However, for typical drivers, physical frame and magnet interference impacts symmetry...another thing to consider is acoustic center offset. So, it seems true symmetry is only available from ESLs and similar drivers.

Influence of edges decreases at longer wavelength/lower frequencies but we have a tweeter nearby so, phrasing the question differently, why not do everything practical to reduce diffraction?
    Paul

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the input, Paul. Looks like the 1/2" bit is going to get some use tonight :T

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"