X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manau
    • Dec 2006

first DIY sub does not work!

Good day everyone.

I Need your advice about what could be wrong with my first DIY... No sound comes out from the sub except a light "hum, hum, hum..." noise. I am using the DAYTON RSS390HO-4 15" HIGH OUTPUT SUBWOOFER

I connected an RCA cable to the "monosub out" from my HT receiver to the "line input" "left" of the BASH 500 plate amp of the sub.
    The BASH other settings are:
    • "LFE-cross over": set on LFE
    • "phase 180 - 0": set on "0"
    • "on-auto" switch: set on "on"
    • Frequency: set at approx "80"

I started with volume on minimum and increase it little at a time but no sound.

There is a little "hum, hum, hum..." noise coming from the sub that I can hear and this noise gets louder as I turn the volume up on the sub. This noise is still present even if the RCA cable is not connected to the plate amp on the sub!

Any idea what is happening?

I have posted the same message on other forums without success so far. I hope you guys here will have a solution for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

For testing purposes, get a different rca cable, and connect it to a regular pre amp output.
    Verify that your reciever is set to sub "on".
    Turn the crossover all the way up when connected to the LFE, i.e. let the reciever do the crossover work, and run the sub "wide open".
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Without seeing it, and walking through all the connections, it is very very difficult to tell you what is going wrong.

I would first check your receiver settings, do you have the subwoofer set to yes and the speakers set to small. Turn the subwoofer channel up on your reciever to make sure that it is outputting enough signal to kick the amp on.

Then, I would check the cables. Do you have a good cable going from the receiver to the amp, and do you have good solder connections between the amp and the speaker.

A sub is very simple. If it isn't a simple solution, then it could be a bad amp.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I've had cheap cables do all sorts of bad things. So do check that.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• manau
          • Dec 2006

Thanks for those quick answers and I will start the trouble shooting this morning. However, I am concerned by the fact that the hum noise I mentioned before happens even when the sub is not connected to the HT receiver. It occurs every half second or so. I said hum hum but could be "cluck, cluck..." I just want to clarify this has a "hum" noise is usually more a continuous sound. What could it be?

Comment

• digital desire
            • Dec 2006

Hmmm. If not connected at all, and making noise, thats bad.
            Peter
            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• manau
              • Dec 2006

The drirver seems to be working. I made a quick connection from the TV speaker out and got sound.

How can I troubleshoot the bash 500 amp? I think it is the culprit for 3 reasons:

1) I was reading your posts when suddently the sub made a strange noise! Wondering how this had happened, I got even more puzzled when I realized that the RCA cable was not connected to the sub, only the power cord was connected and the power was on!

2) Another thing I noticed: everytime the driver make the "cluck" noise every half second, the light on the bash amp flickers.

3) One more thing interesting. If I turn the power off on the bash amp, the "cluck" noise continues for maybe 3 to 5 more seconds until the light on the amp totally disappears (acts like a dimer)

What else can I do trouble shoot the bash amp?

Doesn't it seem like a bad amp to you?

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Sounds like a bad amp to me.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"