X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarrenT
    • Jul 2005

Wife mandates in-wall speakers, some questions

Hi Guys,

I have a family room theater and currently own 3 GR-Research AV2's and two AV1RS surrounds. I love them dearly but a future remodel of the family room has me looking at "in-wall" or "in-wall cabinet" designs for my front 3. I'm 80% HT and 20% music of all kinds.

My options that I've found so far:

1. GR-Research AV-3S
    2. Natalie P
    3. Modula MTM

The above are the 3 designs that I've found so far in DIY that:
    A) should meet my needs for crankability
    B) are designed for in-wall or on-wall placement
    C) have excellent, proven engineering behind them (reputable designers )

AV-3S
    I am a little hesitant to go with the AV-3S because it rolls off around 80Hz, I want to extend down below 60Hz minimum. I have a 4 way 15" IB subwoofer located between the mains and prefer to have it crossed over at or below 60Hz.

Natalie P (In-Wall)
    Still learning about this design, much to read here. I hear there is a WTMW center in the works??? I'd love to have a WTMW center although I can go vertical with my center but I prefer not to.

Modula MTM (In-Wall)
    Still learning about this design as well. I see there is a MTM center but I can't seem to find an in-wall crossover design for it. Is there one and I missed it? Is there a WTMW in the works?

I intend to keep my AV1RS surrounds for sure so the front 3 are my only concern. I really like to crank my music, I like a slightly laid back quality to my speakers as well.

If you have any advice for me and my situation that would be great. Any pointers to specific threads on any of these designs or other designs that I haven't considered that might help me out would be great as well. I've been searching but some of the threads are so long they are prohibitively complex to navigate and comprehend. Maybe I'm just dumb

Here is a shot of the front of my family room theater. Pay no attention to the furniture layout, this is before I bought new furniture and set it up more appropriately. I'll be rebuilding the cabinet/shelves on either side of the fireplace which is where the L & R will be mounted. The new center will remain in the slanted ceiling in the same location, it is aimed directly toward the listening position and integrates remarkably well for it's location. It sits about 18" in front of the plasma and about 24" above it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roomfront.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	939450

Darren
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:57 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    Darren Thomas
    www.garagehobbies.com
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Darren,

Yes there's a WMTW center channel in the works. It uses the RS52 dome and fits in the same box as the NatP/Modula MTM.

At this point there is no in-wall/on-wall design for the Modula MTM. It's possible that one could be created but it wouldn't occur for months.

Virtually all of the important data for any of our 'house' designs is contained in the first post of the thread. When any new info comes out about a design it's detailed or links to it are put in the first post.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DarrenT
      • Jul 2005

Thanks ThomasW,

My family room remodel won't happen for a few months so if there will be more choices at that time then great.

Still reading, wish I didn't have to work
      Darren Thomas
      www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• Eroc_Fx
        • Jan 2007

I am also interested in In-wall Modula MTM speakers.

Another question I have is what to do with the port? Does it just go into the wall like a down firing port or does it get moved to the front? What kind of compensation is needed for the crossover?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The crossover is designed for in-wall/on-wall application, no other compensation is needed.

Usually they're built as sealed boxes since the Fb of the ported designs is well below the standard sub-out crossover frequency used for multi-channel applications.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eroc_Fx
            • Jan 2007

Does anything have to change to make them a sealed box design?

Comment

• DarrenT
              • Jul 2005

I was hoping I could keep the port so I could have better low end extension. My installation would allow for a front firing port, would adding the port be all that is needed or would that be a bad idea for the in-walls?
              Darren Thomas
              www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

I may be throwing another on-wall option in the mix one of these days... but, you know, waiting is for patient people. :P It will be a 3-way.

C
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Rick Craig
                  • Jul 2006

Parts Express has an in-wall kit now so you can basically make your own or adapt a kit design to an in-wall.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DarrenT
                    I was hoping I could keep the port so I could have better low end extension. My installation would allow for a front firing port, would adding the port be all that is needed or would that be a bad idea for the in-walls?
                    Sure, a front-firing port should work fine. And the wall mounting gives you 6dB more bass headroom while the modified crossover keeps the response flat.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Eroc_Fx
                      Does anything have to change to make them a sealed box design?
                      Nope

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• DarrenT
                        • Jul 2005

Cool, sounds like there will be lots of options for me when I begin the remodel.
                        Darren Thomas
                        www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• cobbpa
                          • Apr 2005

Drywall recently went up over these and I wish I had some pictures. They came out really nice. The baffle has a small (3/8" I believe) roundover. That portion is the only part that sticks out from the wall. Makes a pretty smooth transition. Anyway, here's how I went about it:

Name:	P1020158.webp
Views:	22
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	939451

Name:	P1020128.webp
Views:	23
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	939452
                          Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:58 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• DarrenT
                            • Jul 2005

Nice, great way to get the volume you needed with the limited space.
                            Darren Thomas
                            www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"