I find it impossible to work with the Neo3 PDR...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

I find it impossible to work with the Neo3 PDR...

Hi all!

I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time...

I've worked twice with the Neo3. I know it's a highly regarded tweeter, used in lots of implementations. Including MartinLogan speakers.

Thing is, I hate it. I can't seem to work with it at all.

I find it has a certain "sound" to it. I can't quite fully explain it, but lower highs just don't sound right.

I've never been happy at all with it. Everytime I've used domes, I've been satisfied. Never with the Neo3, in 3 different designs I've built.

Right now, I got back an old set of speakers using Focal 5N421 woofers and a Neo3 in an MTM configuration. I thought I'd give another shot to it.

Can't do it. It just sounds... weird.

Is the Neo3 a difficult tweeter to work with? I've used it flush-mounted and surface mounted, with metal woofers and poly ones, MTM, 2.5 ways...I've never been able to do anything I like with it.

I've attached a pic of its measured FR, on a 1.20 meters x 18 cms baffle. For the record, I've tried it in 3 different baffles, and each and every one measures equally awfully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Neo3PDR.gif
Views:	3753
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	868380

I'm stumped (BTW, I've used 5 different tweeters, so I don't think it's a manufacturing defect).
    Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 07:22 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Javier Huerta
  • dlr
    • Feb 2005

Very possibly baffle related

Originally posted by fjhuerta
    Is the Neo3 a difficult tweeter to work with? I've used it flush-mounted and surface mounted, with metal woofers and poly ones, MTM, 2.5 ways...I've never been able to do anything I like with it.
    I've never actually used it, so I'm making a bit of an assumption.

I've attached a pic of its measured FR, on a 1.20 meters x 18 cms baffle. For the record, I've tried it in 3 different baffles, and each and every one measures equally awfully.
    Besides the driver's native on-axis frequency response, it may have better lateral dispersion than typical dome tweeters. This will show up as differing, possibly worse diffraction signatures on the various baffles.

If you haven't yet tried diffraction control through baffle layout or can't alter the diffraction signature (don't have or don't want to use felt or a roundover), then I would suggest using either a slightly off-axis measurement, say 15 degrees left or right, to design. You could also make a single response file by using an average of several measurements that will tend to "mask" the diffraction. This should result in a somewhat smoother power response that may be the reason for your problem.

Using only the on-axis measurement when there is significant diffraction is very problematic.
    Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Yeah, the rocky behavior sure looks like diffraction... check out Dave's pages on dealing with that.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• hdspeakerman
        • Jan 2007

Neo 3

I cannot speak to the issues you have with this driver but I can say that I have enjoyed it very much and have had several visitor comment about how much they liked the Neo 3 presentation. I am posting a link to designs by Lou C. He has quite a bit of experience with the Neo 3 and IMHO has been very successful with it. The "Cryolite" is the one I built.
        Howard
        Domain for Sale. LoneSaguaro.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

Comment

• Biff
          • Jul 2006

I am using it in an mtm with pl18s and got very smooth response, 2nd order @ 3k (IIRC) DM crossovers. He commented on the excellent vertical dispersion as wellas good horizontal, but said there was some small rippling due to cavity effect using the BG surface type mount plate, but that disappeared and gave what he felt was a nice clean power response.

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

Thank you very much for your help.

I'll experiment this weekend with felt around the tweeter. I wonder how much effect that will have - hopefully a lot.

I still wonder whether I just dislike the sound of the Neo. I've read that it sounds pretty much like the RS28. To me, they sound completely different - the RS28 is completely transparent, while the Neo has a slightly nasal quality, IMHO.

I wonder what it is that I'm doing wrong.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
              Thank you very much for your help.

Neo has a slightly nasal quality, IMHO.

I wonder what it is that I'm doing wrong.
              I wouldn't dismiss the mids contributions to these tonal imbalances. Remember the presence region 1-5k is the sum of both parts- mid/tweeter.

Comment

• kestrel
                • Feb 2007

You just don't like the BG NEO3s. I'll take them off your hands for 1/2 price. :T

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kestrel
                  You just don't like the BG NEO3s. I'll take them off your hands for 1/2 price. :T

Strangely enough, I gave them to a friend yesterday. He wanted to use them because of their flat impedance (he's a tube guy). Hopefully, he'll find a use for them. I suspect I'm crossing them too low for their own good, and since all I own are metal woofers at the moment, this is not going to change.

I replaced them with the Madisound MB Quart titanium tweeters. Quite probably, I'll find them easier to work with. Hopefully, they'll like a 2 KHz 6th order crossover.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• gitarretyp
                    • Oct 2006

Out of curiosity, were you using them with or without one of the face plates?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"