• Show
Clear All
  • Risingjay
    • Oct 2006

What Sub fits best?

I'm in need of a sub and need advice.

Here is what I am working with:

Mains- Klipsch Chorus II's 101db @ 1w/1m, +-3db down to 38Hz
    Room - 14.5W x 18L ( Is this considered to be a small to medium room or just small?)

Sub Amp- QSC 3402

What I want to accomplish:

1.) Tight bass (kick drums) for music
    2.) The deepest lows for movies
    3.) Looking at crossing over at 60Hz or 80Hz

My Thoughts:

1.) Sealed - Design a sub mimicking kramskoi 2x15" TC3000 .45Q sealed sub design but use 2x15" TC2000's. I figured the box or cylinder will have to around 14 cu.ft. in order to get the same performance as the 2 TC3000's. I'm O.K. with that.

2.) Ported / LLT - Use the 320 Liter design that has been discussed and proven here with a TC2000.

I would follow the advice here and get an EQ to dial in the sub.

Which design do you think would best fit my hopes and dreams of a sub that will fullfill my music (which I listen to a lot) and do the same with movies (which I watch a lot of)?

I enjoy reading all of the projects posted here. You all have inpired me to go the DIY route. Thank you.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 17 February 2007, 15:32 Saturday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I find the 3000 a bit perplexing. The Le is extremely high, this and other aspects of it makes me think it's better suited for car applications. (yes I know all about Kramskoi's designs)

The price premium for the 2000 over the Soundsplinter RL-p15", means I recommend the RL-p15"

The choice of sealed or ported is simply a function of whether you want to live with a monster sized enclosure, or use power and EQ with a smallish box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I think the difference between sealed or ported comes down to size versus $$$. (Pretty much the same as what Thomas said)

If you have the budget for 2 TC3000, go for 4 sealed RL-p15.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

I dig the small sealed with loads of power and proper LT. Unless IB is in the air........is IB even a thought ?
        Attached Files
        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Risingjay
          • Oct 2006

I wish IB was an option! I would make life a lot easier. I would like to know which style sub would go best diven the size of my room. Again, I don't mind the size of the ported. I just want the music to sound as good at HT. Tight, real and go infrasonic when called upon. IB would do it but not an option. If I attempted IB, It would have to be located in back of the listening position and from what I have read is bad.

As far as budget, I can afford 2 TC2000's or 2 RL-P's, not 2 TC3000's.

As far as parametric EQ's, can you increase gain under 20Hz, and also are there lowpass filters on them?

I'm still kind of new to this.

Comment

• mmoeller
            • May 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
            I find the 3000 a bit perplexing. The Le is extremely high, this and other aspects of it makes me think it's better suited for car applications. (yes I know all about Kramskoi's designs)
            Someone finally said this. I modeled the 3000, and it seemed to have a very narrow response. Almost like a high Q car sub.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Risingjay
              As far as budget, I can afford 2 TC2000's or 2 RL-P's, not 2 TC3000's.

As far as parametric EQ's, can you increase gain under 20Hz, and also are there lowpass filters on them?
              I think a pair of RL-p15"s is one of the best deals around for high performance.

Unless you buy a Rane PE17 you won't find an parametric equalizer that boosts below 20Hz. The Rane has a 10Hz hinge point.

You only need a high pass if you go ported. The current devices don't offer this option. Chasw98 and I have been developing an add-on box with several interesting functions including a selectable high-pass. More information will be posted as the project evolves.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"