X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNRRClassic
    • Nov 2006

Best Hookup wire for Crossover?

What is everyone using for hookup wire on their crossovers? I have never used anything special, but there are so many options and opinions these days. I have also always used different gauge wire for tweeters and woofers, but opinion varies on that now, too. It will be very interesting to see what everyone is using.
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

I borrow whatever the is in the back of the lab at work. Usually red/black for woofer and yellow/green for tweeter. 16ga is my preference, 14 and larger heatsink joints too much. Honestly when you're looking at runs of a foot or so for internal wiring, color matters as much as anything else.

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I second that. I just try to make sure it's at least as thick as my speaker wire, just for peace of mind.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

I try to not use any extra wire/connections in the crossover wiring. Cap to inductor to resitor etc. I use Supra wire from madisound for internal wire to speaker driver.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I use what Thomas linked. Great guy at Apexjr too.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• digital desire
              • Dec 2006

16 gauge marine wire. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001/121/120/9
              Peter
              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                • Apr 2006

Within the x-over I typically use the component leads only, if I spread the physical placement of the coils then I may use a short 14ga wire to tie the low side connections. When I've done this the short wire is only about 2-4inches in length.

For binding posts to x-overs, I've used similar to what Thomas listed, probably same manufacturer for Mid and T connections.

The silver covering on the wire seemed to make soldering very easy.

For Woofer binding post and driver connections I've used 10ga multistrand copper. Over the short lengths within the speaker 14ga would probably have been fine for the woofer as well.
                Last edited by oxcartdriver; 14 February 2007, 14:39 Wednesday.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                  • Nov 2006

I, too, have used whatever I had around, often 14 ga or other. Sometimes 12 ga for a woofer and 18 for a tweeter. I tried some sort of litz wire once, but trying to get the covering/coating/insulation, whatever it was, off didn't work out well. I have heard of several people talk about using it, but I really don't see how.

What gauge of wire is everyone using? Same all around, or different for woofer and tweeter?

Comment

• Andy_G
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TNRRClassic
                    What gauge of wire is everyone using? Same all around, or different for woofer and tweeter?
                    I use different wire, what ever is suitable and available, purely for identification purposes. If of different guage, thinner one on the tweeter.

Comment

• cotdt
                      • Oct 2005

For crossovers, I rarely ever use hookup wire at all. the leads of the RLC elements are plenty long enough.

Comment

• Bri
                        • Dec 2006

It seems like people are talking about two different things: wire used between the crossover components and wire that runs from the output of the crossover to the drivers. I personally use solid 18ga when necessary between crossover components and 12-16ga stranded speaker wire to drivers.

Comment

• Rolex
                          • Mar 2005

inside the crossover, I used the leads off the components. From the crossover to drivers, I used Home Depot 14 ga red and black wire. Same for the crossover to the speaker terminals.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"