X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawkfan
    • Feb 2007

Hawkfan's Nat P build

Crossovers are done! I already have the 1cuft enclosures, RS180s, and Precision ports from PE. Waiting on router, Jasper jig, and RS28As to arrive. I was trying to find a good carpenter to do the speaker cutouts but the guy wanted $200. I figured that money would be better spent on a decent router and Jasper jig as I'm sure that this won't be my last project. Anyway, I wanted to post some pics of the finished crossovers but I apparently don't have enough file space here to post them. Sorry I'll try again later. The jig and router should arrive sometime this week so hopefully i'll be able to get some more done this weekend.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you compress the pics to less than 100k each our forum's server will host them as attachments

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• hawkfan
      • Feb 2007

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Good choice buying the router and jig, you will be addicted once you finish your first set, and be glad you have the tools to make more!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hawkfan
          • Feb 2007

Crossover pics. Jasper Jig came in. Still waiting on RS28As from Timbreaudio and router. Hope all is well on the crossover construction. 'Cause I'm not doing it over
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mazeroth
            • Nov 2004

Those crossovers look great! :T

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

oooh......
              That is V nice work!
              Git err Dun!!!
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Carl V
                • Apr 2005

XO looks good...very nice & neat.

Comment

• hawkfan
                  • Feb 2007

Thanks. I just need to get some stand-offs to make it easier to mount them inside of the cabinets. I just hope the woodworking part will go as well as the crossover construction. I may get a sheet of MDF to practice with before I make any attempt to make the cutouts on the PE baffles.

Comment

• Bri
                    • Dec 2006

I definitely recommend practicing on some scrap wood first if you haven't done a lot of this before. I'm pretty new to it all and my crossovers went pretty well but I botched a recess and need to do some wood epoxy work now. Darn router bit worked its way out and I cut too deep on a pass! It gets way easier with some practice.

Comment

• JonP
                      • Apr 2006

Very good advice... Even after you're "good at it", it's not a bad idea to make a practice pass on some scrap. Then you make sure your depths are right for the flush mounting, as well as for basic hole sizes. The old adage "measure 4 times, cut once" is about right... :W

Then, hopefully, you can make a perfect pass on that front baffle, and not have to order another!

Remember the shelf paper to protect the pre finished baffle when you use them..
                      and find yourself a book or some online articles on proper router use and safety... and practice a lot first!!

Be safe, practice, and enjoy... There's something magical about creating your first routed driver hole... and for me, it's never quite gone away.... :B

Comment

• hawkfan
                        • Feb 2007

Natalie P's are done!!! Finished them up last night. Here are some pics.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• hawkfan
                          • Feb 2007

BTW, I'm looking for some amplification for these things. I was looking at an '07 Onkyo receiver (605/705), but they are on pre-order right now. What would you suggest? 100wrms per seems like it should be enough, but I read that 200wrms per is the way to go, but are there any "affordable" receivers or preamp+amps out there that can do 200wrms into a 4 ohm load? Could I use my Oppo 981 as a preamp If I decided to go with a two channel amp?

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Speakers look good.... :T

I'm not sure how you'd control the volume using a DVD player as a preamp.

The Behringer A500 is a nice little amp for the money. It will drive the speakers no problem..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Great job!!!!!!

BTW, the way you have them oriented in your baffle shot is opposite of the way you want them set up when listening, IOW, the offset of the tweeters should be such that they are closer to each other.

AFA equipment, you may look to Audiogon.com for deals on used items to help extend your budget.

I know you lwill ove these, I still can't get over how nice mine sound.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• hawkfan
                                • Feb 2007

**UPDATE**
                                Ordered the Onkyo A-9555 and it arrived yesterday. All I can say is WOW! This is a great combo! I thought about building a sub to go along with the Nat P's at first, but now I really don't think it is necessary. I didn't realize how good two channel listening could be. Smooth, yet detailed and with a very strong low end. Zero, and I mean ZERO, listening fatigue! I am amazed at the Nat P's ability to play so loud and low with no distortion or breakup! Thanks again for a great speaker design. I am highly satisfied!!! :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Another satisfied customer ..... :B :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hawkfan
                                    **UPDATE**
                                    Ordered the Onkyo A-9555 and it arrived yesterday. All I can say is WOW! This is a great combo! I thought about building a sub to go along with the Nat P's at first, but now I really don't think it is necessary. I didn't realize how good two channel listening could be. Smooth, yet detailed and with a very strong low end. Zero, and I mean ZERO, listening fatigue! I am amazed at the Nat P's ability to play so loud and low with no distortion or breakup! Thanks again for a great speaker design. I am highly satisfied!!! :T

Cool.... enjoy the tunes...

~jon
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                      • Oct 2005

Glad to hear you like them so much. :T

I just finished veneering my boxes and will start the cross overs tonight. I'm really looking forward to hearing these!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"