X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marc g
    • May 2006

Want to DIY a Tripath based 4 ch amp for line arrays

I was researching the 41hz.com website, specifically the AMP9 kit. The kit is supposed to offer about 60wpc x 4. More than enough to power the mids and way overkill on the tweeter array but for a cost of only $50 for the amp and another $50 for the 250va mains transformer it seems like a bargain.

Does the idea of squeezing it into a single rack-mount Behringer crossover case seem do-able? Most of these things have enough real estate left over in the chassis to fit a grilled cheese sandwich and chips.... I wondered if, with a little copper shielding around the amp it could be done.

How handy would it be to have a 4 channel amp with line level stereo crossover in a box to run your speaker (array) project ?

Heck, some times the biggest cost of the DIY stuff is the enclosure..

Or was my mother smoking crack when she had me ?
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I've been trying to find time to fit one of their amps (I think the Amp1B) into an ATX power supply enclosure for ages now. The hardest part is figuring out how to get the transformer and caps to fit without risking a short, or worrying about heat buildup.

Your idea seems quite feasible, but keep in mind that the linear power supply is no more efficient in this amp than in any other. I bet if you had an outboard power supply with dedicated AMP connectors, you'd have no trouble.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• TomK
      • Mar 2005

Guys,

Make sure you consider a "lifetime buy" on the Tripath parts you need. They filed Chapter 11 last week.

Comment

• marc g
        • May 2006

Actually about 18 mos. ago I was researching the company with an idea to invest. You know...... a really good idea with plenty of demand...I saw that it had been sliding into penny territory even then. My timing has always been awful.
        Anyway, I'm sure the technology licenses will be bought up by another company and there will parts available as long as there is demand from the auto and panel TV industry. Should be a good inventory even presently. As I remember Tripath was fabless like AMD and so many others. Weird structure. Virtually non existent company goes non-virtual.

Comment

• cotdt
          • Oct 2005

it works quite well. i've tried it with my AMP5.

Comment

• marc g
            • May 2006

What did you build it into ?

Comment

• cotdt
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by marc g
              What did you build it into ?
              I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I built it into an aluminum enclosure. It's powering my ModulaMTs as I type this.

Comment

• marc g
                • May 2006

What I ment was mounting a Tripath chip amp with it's switch mode PS inside a Behringer crossover case. Can the RF interference be overcome easily enough ?

Comment

• cotdt
                  • Oct 2005

What I ment was mounting a Tripath chip amp with it's switch mode PS inside a Behringer crossover case. Can the RF interference be overcome easily enough ?
                  It's actually quieter than my old linear amp, and the hiss can only be heard if you put your ear close to the tweeter. you can get rid of this hiss entirely by using RFI/EMI blocking sheets in the right places such as around the Tripath chip and around the filter inductors. it's non-grounded shielding and is electrically conductive, and i have no idea how it works since it's not grounded, but it does work. many companies make these things.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                    • Nov 2006

If you're open to other options, I'm currently building a 4 channel - single enclosure - embedded crossover solution for my MTMWW bi-amped mains. I'm using 4 of Greg's SKA (Simple Killer Amp) GB150D modules, two of his 300D power suppies, and two of his crossover boards. More info here

Enclosure is a DIY-1712HS from here, which Greg assures me has plenty of cooling power for 4 of his modules

And a pair of 35-0-35 350v transformers.

Here's a big discussion about the amps, you can also find tons of talk about them on diyaudio.com - and Greg has been incredible to deal with, fantastic support

Comment

• marc g
                      • May 2006

I looked the site over but found like so many other DIY options, things add up quick. I'm starting to believe that all well designed power amps sound similar for a given output. All things then being roughly equal, I'm looking for right tool for the job.

Comment

• cotdt
                        • Oct 2005

I looked the site over but found like so many other DIY options, things add up quick. I'm starting to believe that all well designed power amps sound similar for a given output. All things then being roughly equal, I'm looking for right tool for the job.
                        actually different amps sound quite different. not as much as the difference between speakers, though. the Simple Killer Amp is on the extreme side of the solid state spectrum with an accurate, lean sound. On the other side is the Pass Labs amps, which are warmer-sounding. Then there's the Tripaths which have "midrange bloom" and a wider soundstage, sounds a lot like a single-ended triode. for some reason, all class D amps have a more laid back "polite" treble than the linear amps. take your pick of what you like. for cost/performance IMHO the Tripath is the best. It also has a very euphonic "tube-like" sound. The measurements are also very good.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Par-Metal is another very good chassis supplier. They offer an amazing assortment of options, alu, steel, etc and coatings not readily found elsewhere...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"