X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timbo
    • Jan 2006

Sub TV stand

Room equalizations issues aside, has anyone done a large box sub that they then place their RPTV on. I am thinking 22H x 40w x 18d....multiple 12, 15 or 18"?
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

I'm no expert but I wouldn't want my tv to deal with all the vibration. I'd think it could cause damage over a period of time to connections. Just my guess. If you padded the bottom of the set it may work but I'd not do it myself.

The bulb lifespan would probably be compromised too.

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Ditto what Warren said about vibration being bad for the TV. However, if you're careful with the design, you can reduce vibration to almost nothing and it could work. You need to have opposed pairs of drivers, so the mechanical vibration forces are cancelled, and build the enclosure hella stout. You need thick walls and lots of bracing, especially near the drivers, so you have a solid coupling between the front/back or left/right driver pairs.

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

If it's a CRT, you'd also have to confirm that the magnetic field from the drivers won't cause interference.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

I just finished the first of two quad RS 15" HO's today with opposed drivers. Two on the front, two on the back. Even at really loud levels I barely feel any vibration when I place my hand on the top. It's a pretty strange feeling.

Comment

• Gir
            • Dec 2006

You definitely get more vibrations in a TV from just the sound output than you would with placing a TV on the top of an enclosure. I wouldn't worry about it that much.
            -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Volenti
              • Jan 2007

This is a dipole sub I made a few years ago, yes that is a CRT TV with those great big magnets right underneath.:twisted: They are close anough together to act like bucking magnets.

:twisted:

Comment

• Timbo
                • Jan 2006

Thanks all, I think I will try some version of these and possibly get the Velodyne equalization toy or the "feedback destroyer" in order to balance possible room problems.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                  • Aug 2001

A ballanced and stable design is key for this. With a CRT you will have to watch for magnetic field issues, but I don't believe it would be an issue with DLP or LCD RPTVs. I did such a sub for someone I know here in Chicago with parts I had around. The box was 54 x 18 x 18" with a 15" driver on each end and 4 15" PRs on the two long sides, front and back (there was room to the back wall). He made a housing that sat on top of the subwoofer and formed a nice looking grill structure and stand for the TV. With the sub cranking, the subwoofer enclosure was by far the most stable thing in the room.
                  Mark Seaton
                  "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• Gir
                    • Dec 2006

If you worry about a CRT why not just use shielded drivers?
                    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Gir
                      If you worry about a CRT why not just use shielded drivers?
                      There than woofers with Neo motors (inherently self shielding) there are no big shielded woofers it just too costly.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Timbo
                        • Jan 2006

This will hopfully hold up my Sony 50" XSRD tv. I do not htink magnetic fields are a problem with these types of sets.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"