X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Not a speaker question...

Hope this post is ok. I have a NAD 4225 tuner with what appears to be a failed power supply. No juice coming out of the leads when plugged in. Can anyone direct me to a good source for a new power supply? I can solder and just can't see paying the local repair shop for what appears to be a simple job-plus the markup for parts. I'm hoping I can spend the money on a good ps rather than someone else' labor. Thanks.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • Chris7
    • Dec 2006

If you're not interested in doing a DIY power supply, just order an open frame linear regulated power supply with the correct voltage from either Mouser or Digikey. There are multiple vendors; they're all basically the same. Won't be too expensive. Also, open frame supplies often show up at dirt cheap prices on eBay.

I'd stick with linear supplies because it's a tuner, unless there isn't enough space and you have to go with a switcher.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris7
      If you're not interested in doing a DIY power supply, just order an open frame linear regulated power supply with the correct voltage from either Mouser or Digikey. There are multiple vendors; they're all basically the same. Won't be too expensive. Also, open frame supplies often show up at dirt cheap prices on eBay.

I'd stick with linear supplies because it's a tuner, unless there isn't enough space and you have to go with a switcher.
      This is why I asked! Linear?Switcher? So much for Plug(solder) N Play!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• digital desire
        • Dec 2006

Might be easier to figure out what failed on the first one. Suspects can be filter caps, diodes, I doubt the transformer is dead. Does it blow any fuses?
        Do youhave any repair experiance?
        Peter
        Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
          Hmm. I guess with that question, you probably do not have a lot of repair experiance.
          When you say there is no voltage, where are you measuring?
          BTW, Linear = conventional, i.e., what is in the tuner; switching is like what is powering your computer. Linear is simple, switching is a little more complex.
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Chris7
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
            It really is plug and play. That's why I suggested an open-frame (that means pre-assembled, with a metal base you just mount inside the unit) linear (type of power supply, less stray EMF) regulated (fixed, constant voltage) supply. Many even come with screw terminals, so you don't even have to solder.

This is the type of thing you want:

If you browse through the Mouser or Digikey catalogs, they have similar things from a variety of vendors.

Comment

• digital desire
              • Dec 2006

Peter
              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

:storm: Anything connected to wall voltage can be dangerous if you're not careful, or don't know what you're doing! :storm:

I agree with Digital- a good first step would be to look for fuses, and check if the fuses are blown. If you can't test the fuses, it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace them. Sometimes they blow and you can't visually see that anything is wrong. After that, look for anything that's actually burnt- then tell us what's written on it, or better yet post a photo.

Also I should say that I don't know what a NAD 4225 looks like. When you say that the power supply is bad, does that mean that there's a brick that plugs into the wall that feeds the 4225 through a thin cable, or do you mean something else?

Incidentally, while I was searching for what this piece of equipment looks like, I came across this Ebay auction for the service manual:

-Joe Carrow

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I checked output on all legs from the critter the power cord is attached to with a Fluke 73 multimeter and got nada. 115 ACV in and zip out. I was hoping to do a little transformer R&R and be done with it. Found some Marantz ST6000 tuners for $150 , though ,.....
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• digital desire
                    • Dec 2006

Power switch bad?
                    Peter
                    Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

It actually never makes it to the power switch. The above mentioned "critter" is farther up the heirarchy than the power switch. Also,I'm thinking "critter" is probably not the correct term...Appreciate the help,folks. Think I'm going to buy a new tuner. Considerably safer that way-and I get a new toy!
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Update

Well,I found a Marantz ST6000 on the 'gon for a decent price. Comes with everything but the box. I found some tuners on fleabay but I just can't bring myself to trust anyone there anymore. Sad state of affairs. :cry:
                        Now I can tear into my NAD without fear-other than the whole electrocution thing. 8O
                        After I gather the funds to call Doug for some Silvercats I can move on to the turntable hunt! I wonder , are there enough vinyl Believers to start a club here?
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"