X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboFC3S
    • Nov 2006

Ahhh tools ...

Just a bit of bragging, and hoping for some input.

First the bragging, my new Hitachi KM12VC is SO beautiful! The motor is whisper quiet and incredibly smooth, so are the cuts it makes. But I think the best part is just how great it feels in your hands. Certainly a highly recommended router!

Also got this for the Hitachi, I think I'm really going to enjoy using it. Much more versatile than a normal edge/circle guide, and very easy to use.

My other 'gotta brag' purchase was a 1 3/8" Freud roundover bit, oh man I can't wait to use this bad mamma!

For the input, has anybody actually used this?

I played with it at Lowes, and it really feels nice. The fence feels solid, and the digital readout is killer ... my mind works in decimals, not fractions It's small enough to work in my one car garage, and has some very cool features. Price isn't bad either.
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

wow, that xshop looks cool! how much was it at lowes? i just read quickly over the specs, do you have to use skil powertools or is it universal?
    chris

Comment

• TurboFC3S
      • Nov 2006

It was under $400 at Lowes I think, not 100% sure of the price ... but I've seen it for as low as $320 online. Most of the tool mounts are somewhat universal it seems, but I'm going to investigate that more. I do know that my Hitachi router will fit the table ... I assume my Panasonic drill will fit the press, it's a pretty standard size. And I already have a Skil jigsaw that'll work for the scroll saw piece, and have a 3x18 Skil belt sander

I'm going to go play with it more, really try and get a feel for the fence. If the fence feels solid, I'm probably going to get it.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
        • Apr 2006

I have a Hitachi KM12VC as well. Yes they spin nice and quiet when new. I burned one up already, but Lowes replaced it due to having only a short period of time. The KM12VC is not as stout as other routers, but I liked the all in one aspect of this model.

I cooked my first KM12VC router after the WTMW center, TMWW towers, and a 24in sono-sub.

My second KM12VC was also quiet when new, but now is making a bit more noise after building a pair of Modula MTM cabinets.

Hopefully you will have better results. I'm quite rough with power equipment.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I picked up a BT3100 on clearance a HD for $230 back in October to start my first DIY project.
          I love it, but that Skill unit looks to be a higher evolution of the same concept, V nice!

I just got a DeWalt 621 router that was a factory rebuild for $200, and it is working great for me, easy and precise depth adj., enough power so far, and the dust collection is excellent (important for me since I'm building in my 1 ½ car garage over the winter.

Yesterday I just picked up a Bosch 1587AVS jigsaw. Have yet to use it, but that will happen this weekend.

Some day, I need to get a biscuit jointer, but man, are those puppies pricy!
          For what I have spent in tools over the past 5 months, I could have bought a set of 7 series B&W’s, but I have no regrets, my Nat P’s will be cherished as my first hand built speakers, with performance that I expect to meet or exceed anything I could bought at a similar price including the price of the tools, and now I can build many more styles and designs with only the cost of components and cabinet material. In the end, when you amortize tool cost over the number of speakers you build, you can tell yourself it was OK to spend the $. HaHa....
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Although it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the Skill, the Ryobi BT3100 (if you can find one) is a better choice. There's a replacement for the BT3100 from Sears I can remember the model number.

Be careful of getting too many intergrated tools, when the motor or some other critical component fails, you lose the entire system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

they clearanced the BT3100 back in Oct. I was looking to get one of them, but all the Home Depot stores that I went to were out of stock. I'm still trying to figure out which type of table saw I want to get; I've been looking at the Ridgid contractor saw and was waiting for it to go on sale. Any other opinions?

Comment

• Mazeroth
                • Nov 2004

To make you guys sick to your stomachs I picked up the BT3100 last January at our local Home Depot when they were clearancing them out. I got it for $199 - 10% with a coupon I had PLUS a $50 MIR. Yeah, $129 for my brand new BT3100 :B I got lucky because I'm a young gun without a ton of money and was not looking to spend more than $200 for a table saw. I still have a crappy Craftsman router, circa 1990, that I've been using so once more funds become available that's the first to get replaced. On a good note, I just paid off my car Tuesday (10 months early) and am now 100% out of debt. My wife and I paid off all our student loans, credit cards, and both of our cars. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world knowing that every paycheck I get is MINE, and will be going towards the down payment on a house. We're looking to move out to Colorado (watch out, Thomas) and will be checking it out this summer, mainly Fort Collins.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Ryobi is working on a BT3200, it's been delayed and no one knows when it will be available. The Sears 21829 is a beefed up version of the BT3100. It's $pendy enough that one should probably consider the Ridgid cast iron table saw instead. Sear's customer service has been going downhill for years, while Ridgid's is getting better and better.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    Ryobi is working on a BT3200
                    Good to know. I've been very happy with my BT3100. For a guy like me who is new to woodworking, it's really excellent.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      I picked up a BT3100 on clearance a HD for $230 back in October to start my first DIY project.
                      I got mine last May for $220. I love the thing, as many do.

I just got a DeWalt 621 router that was a factory rebuild for $200, and it is working great for me, easy and precise depth adj., enough power so far, and the dust collection is excellent (important for me since I'm building in my 1 ½ car garage over the winter.
                      Although I got a DW625 new from Amazon.com with the last "MAYPOWER" code for $213, I think I might have been better off with a DW621. The 625's dust collection is alright, but that is the feature that matters most to me, now that I have had to clean up after myself. The DC on the 625 also tends to get in the way at times. It has lots of power, though.

For what I have spent in tools over the past 5 months, I could have bought a set of 7 series B&W’s, but I have no regrets, my Nat P’s will be cherished as my first hand built speakers, with performance that I expect to meet or exceed anything I could bought at a similar price including the price of the tools, and now I can build many more styles and designs with only the cost of components and cabinet material. In the end, when you amortize tool cost over the number of speakers you build, you can tell yourself it was OK to spend the $. HaHa....
                      I have dropped a lot on tools, but I also plan to make computer desks, an entertainment center, and other things besides just the currently planed 6 pairs of speakers. Still, the tools plus materials cost of my first pair will be less than an equivilent retail speaker pair, assuming I can get a sufficient level of "fit-n-finish" with DIY.
                      Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                        I have dropped a lot on tools, but I also plan to make computer desks, an entertainment center, and other things besides just the currently planed 6 pairs of speakers.
                        Yes, someone else has a few other plans for the use of all my newly acquired stuff previous post.
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"