X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DS-21
    • Jun 2005

B&c 21nw160

I don't know if anyone caught the preliminary information on this woofer, but it gets few hits on Google and none here. Surprising, because a really large, long-throw woofer sounds like a lot of fun to me. Here's what Unibox says about it, in a 300L enclosure at its max rated power.

Almost 120dB at 20Hz with only a little over-excursion just above tuning. That's better than the 18" TC-5300, and the B&C driver also has about a third of the inductance of the $1000 TC beast. I wonder how that compares to the Cabasse 55ND (or ND55, never can remember) which was the driver in used in best-sounding subwoofer I've heard to date.
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

96dB AND 30mm xmax?! Gulp! :E

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Seems it would do quite well open baffle, if I'm not totally messing up on reading the specs (or rather, my brain hasn't gone completely dead from overwork lately... entirely probable). Though the Fs at 27Hz is disappointing...

Got a source on 'em? Or a price?

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

15mm xmax

you're reading xmech
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DS-21
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by cjd
          Seems it would do quite well open baffle, if I'm not totally messing up on reading the specs (or rather, my brain hasn't gone completely dead from overwork lately... entirely probable). Though the Fs at 27Hz is disappointing...
          Yeah, that kind of Vd would be much fun on an open baffle, or in an I-B setup, as well. (The Cabasse sub that ranks as the best I've heard was I-B.) As for the Fs, keep in mind that we're not the intended use. B&C builds a rugged driver in general, so I doubt the suspension would cry if the cone were mass-loaded a bit to lower Fs.

Got a source on 'em? Or a price?
          Thankfully, no, though assuming it is a real product I expect that most if not all of the B&C vendors in the US (PE, www.usspeaker.com, www.loudspeakersplus.com) will offer it. I haven't pursued it. I say "thankfully" because I'm quite happy with the performance of my current sub (my first "commercial" sub ever, a Tannoy B475, which supplanted two JBL 2235H-based vented DIY subs) and something like that would get my sorry little mind spinning if I allowed it to gain a foothold....

Given B&C's pricing structure in general, though, I'd be really surprised if this driver is in near the ballpark as the Aura NS18 or the monster TC driver. Considering relative pricing of the other B&C and Beyma drivers, and the existence of a 21" Beyma for about $600, I would not be shocked to see B&C's 21 come in at under $500. But that's rampantly uninformed speculation, mind.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"