Better woofer for a 3 way.. Dayton RS270 or TB WT-1427B?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Better woofer for a 3 way.. Dayton RS270 or TB WT-1427B?

I was wondering about the small 10" Neo T-B subwoofer.. and then a post by John Krutke made me wonder...

If you grabbed the W4-1337S Titanium 4", I'll anxiously await your comments on it. I just can't bring myself to blow $50 on a 4" Tangband. Of course, I blew $80 on a 10" TB a couple weeks ago... not the best $80 I ever spent.
    The thing is, the 10" is very, very light, so shipping to Mexico is exactly half the cost of what bringing 4 Dayton RS270's would be.

I'm considering building an MTMWW with the 27TBFC as a tweeter, the Dayton RS125s as mids, and I'm still undecided as to what to use as woofers. I have 4 Peerless 8" Exclusives, and I'm wondering whether upgrading to a 10" would be worth it... what do you think? If so, should I use the T-Bs, or the RS270's?
    Javier Huerta
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Between the 8's and 10's it comes down to Sd and how loud you want to play. The 270's require a LARGE cabinet to be tuned low in a reflex; not as bad for sealed, but then it won't play as loud down low. This is why more projects are being done with the RS225. For the RS270, you want 75-80 liters, IMO.

How much of the cost is shipping, and how much driver? If the shipping is that high, consider going with a single NS12A instead. Neodymium magnet, relatively low weight, very nice distortion performance, and enough Sd and Xmax to go down to 18 Hz in a 75 liter cabinet.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Hi Jon,

Here's an idea of the pricing...

The TB Woofers are $78 ea. S/H is $88 for 4 of them.
      The Dayton RS270 Woofers are $63.50 ea. S/H is $188 for 4 of them. (!!!)

So I end up paying $30 less for 4 TB's, even though they are $15 more, each.

I'll look at the Aurasound. One of my concerns is - I believe I need two woofers to reach a target of 88~89 dB / W with full baffle step compensation.

Maybe I should stick with the Peerless. It's just that, I suppose, a dumb prejudice about not using nomex/paper cones with aluminum mids.
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

RS125's eh?

The RS270 really wants to be sealed. Superb that way IMHO but... will exceed your sensitivity target, so in some ways I'm not sure they're the right match for this system anyhow.

The Peerless you have are superb and should do quite well. I don't think the T-B will be an improvement over them. No, I know they won't. You might get a little more low end grunt out of some different options, but that's really where those Peerless may sell themselves short. And IIRC you have to step into something like those Auras to get *that* much more.

You do have a setup that could be quite interesting with shallow slopes on the 8's and the tweeter, so the RS125 is more of a gap filler than a stand-alone mid. I mean, you could cross the 8's directly to the TBFC with care.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjd
          You do have a setup that could be quite interesting with shallow slopes on the 8's and the tweeter, so the RS125 is more of a gap filler than a stand-alone mid. I mean, you could cross the 8's directly to the TBFC with care.

C
          Tempting...

I'd rather cross the tweeters to the 8"'s, since the crossover will be simpler, and I'd rather use shallower slopes this time.

Maybe I could use the RS125's on another project.... hmmm...

Then again, I assume I'd need to cross everything at 1.5 KHz or lower, so I'd need at least 4th order slopes, maybe higher.

Then again, the RS125's may help off-axis dispersion, and take a load out of the poor 27TBFC.

I think I need to check out Jon's 8" Hi-Vi design.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"