X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

Hope to see some of you at the 2/17 Northern CA event

Any one else planning to go? Apparently, it starts at 1:30 PM at the same Roseville church as the last one. Info:

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Didn't see this coming, or hear about it until this morning.

Can you spell, "business travel to Montreal followed by national sales training seminar"? Well, maybe next time.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jonathanb3478
      • May 2006

I never seem to learn about them until a week or so before, so far. I am not on the NCDIY forum, yet. Maybe that is it. Regardless, my plans are pretty wide open usually, so it's not a problem for me.

Hopefully others can make it, too...
      Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

I think this is just a mini get together...Nothing big. This is the first I've heard it as well. I'll have to check my schedule as well.'

edit>looks like I can come.

Now if anyone wants to get stuff measured, or have me run through lspCAD or SE, let me know and I can put together something, get out the lcd projector.
        Last edited by Mark K; 09 February 2007, 19:35 Friday.
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• jonathanb3478
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Mark K
          ...or have me run through lspCAD or SE, let me know and I can put together something, get out the lcd projector.
          I certainly would be interested in checking out the software. I do not know that there would be enough people to justify a projector if that is too much. Just a laptop with the software would go a long way, I think.

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully there is enough interest to justify your trouble. :T
          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
            • May 2006

Mark, hope to see you at this event. I am going to try to be there shortly after it starts.
            -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• truckman
              • Aug 2006

I'm planning on attending, probably starting around mid-afternoon. Since I don't have anything to show off, I'll just be bringing my ears.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                • May 2006

Originally posted by truckman
                Since I don't have anything to show off, I'll just be bringing my ears.
                I could bring 1/3 finished RS TMWW enclosures, but really I am in the same boat you are.

I think I am going to bring some of my own CD selections. I wonder if I should bring my SACD changer, too. Hmm...

...I think I will.
                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Mark K
                  • Feb 2002

I'm going to try to be there today. But, my son's basketball game has been rescheduled right into the middle of this. So, we'll see...
                  www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                    • May 2006

Sons are important.

Hope to see you for a bit, but priorities and all that. :T
                    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                      • May 2006

The event is going well, wish you all were here.
                      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Al Garay
                        • Jan 2004

It went so well. Why don't you tell us about it?

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                          • May 2006

It was on my mom's birthday, so I am still busy making it up to her. We are about to watch "The Guardian", so I am still working that off. Oh well. Maybe it will not suck.

Once I have the time, I will be back for more. Currently she is watching the trailer for "The Prestige", and I don't have much time 'till the movie starts.
                          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                            • May 2006

Ok, so after the birthday thing was the computer problem thing, then was the ordering of the parts for making a working computer for me thing.

But now, back to HTGuide. :T

(at least until the parts arrive)

We had three pairs of speakers there, one was using a compression horn tweeter and a 10" woofer in a pretty large ported box. Another was a large stand mount (12X24X18-deep, large) with, I thought, an 8" woofer and a 27TDFC with a port tune in the low 30's IIRC. The last pair was a medium two-way (maybe .5-.375 cuft ported enclosure) with a 1" dome and a 6.5" woofer. I know longer recall enough to tell you who made most of the drivers, except the seas tweeter stuck in my head.

You could say the general concept behind the various crossovers was definately minimalism, except where that 8-ga aircore ~5mH inductor was concerned, anyway. :E Also, everyone had their crossovers showing. ops:

In addition to speakers, some DIY electronics were on hand to strut their stuff. There was an amp, a pre (both of these by the same guy), and a DIY Tube amp kit (this one) which is only $166, shipped. It is sold by a guy in AZ.

The amp/pre combo developed an issue shortly after they were hooked up at the venue. I heard them before the issue developed, and I liked them. The tube amp only had 8watts (in class A operation), but that worked well enough with the compression horn/10" woofer pair of speakers. Really well, actually. I was hearing it on speakers I haven't heard before, on a source I haven't heard before, in a room I haven't heard before, with music I haven't heard before, but I can say that nothing sounded wrong about it. :Z I would be interested in getting that tube amp kit to see what it did with my - speakers, source, room, and music. I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like it.

I did bring my Sony ES SCD-C555ES 5-disc SACD changer and some SACDs to the GTG. My favorite part of the whole thing was sitting down to the Antique Sound Labs 30w/ch tube integrated that was brought, while it was hooked to both those floorstanding horns and my source, and playing my favorite music. I heard all of the songs I wanted, but not every last second of the 1 hour program I set up on my changer. I haven't heard imaging like that in person before, ever. I was impressed. Very impressed. Then there was the >100dB listening levels (brought my rat-shack meter) that combination produced without flinching (not with my music, but with others' classic rock and roll).

Good time with good people that it was good to see (again, in some cases). The thought of setting specific days, twice a year, where everyone just knows there will be a similar GTG was bandied about at this event. I like the idea. I can't put it together, but I would definately be there. ;x(
                            -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• JonP
                              • Apr 2006

Cool... Anyone have pics up on a website?

I always wonder why we don't seem to have enough people in So CA for an event... (though maybe we need to ask again!) and if it's worth the longer hike to the No CA one. One of these days I'll try getting up there!

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                • May 2006

Once there is an N-CA event with enough lead time for people (like Jon Marsh) to fix their schedules around it, it will definately be worth hiking up for one up here. This one was more of a, "why not" last minute sort of thing. At least that is my understanding. We still got 12 people, 3 pairs of DIY speakers, a DIY Amp/Pre combo, and a DIY (kit) tube integrated. Not bad, but not worth comming up from SoCal, in my opinion. YMMV

Some really good SLR digital photos off a tripod are around somewhere. I will try to find them and post up a link.
                                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"