X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboFC3S
    • Nov 2006

Cabinet rebuild progress ...

I just want to show what can be done for those of us with nowhere to work on building cabinets from scratch. I've been doing this on my kitchen floor and the back porch.

These cabs started life as Wharfedale Emerald 87's. It's a 2.5 way, the cab was decently well constructed with 3/4" MDF walls and a vertical window brace. The cabinet originally had a .65 cu/ft upper section, and a 1.1 cu/ft lower section. For this implementatioin I cut off the front baffle with a jigsaw to make re-working the guts possible. I then used my jigsaw to cut some 5/8" particle board to size and repartitioned the top section into a .35 cu/ft sealed enclosure - this will hold an MTM with a pair of 5 1/4" mids running from 200hz up. The bottom is approx 1.2 cu/ft that will be vented for a pair of 7" drivers handling the bass. You might be able to see in the picture that the box is deeper than the top chamber - the bottom section volume goes to the top of the cabinet, vertically behind the top section. I also added quite a few horizontal braces you can see in the picture using dowels.

Next was the fun part, I used a generous layer of this stuff to glue down a layer of 1lb per sq/ft mass loaded vinyl

Green Glue Noiseproofing Products are the most popular and cost-effective soundproofing materials on the market and application is fast, simple and effective.

After I covered all internal walls with the glue and MLV, I put down some sections of Sonic Barrier you can see in the picture. You can also see the MLV and some of the green glue oozing out from seams. Next I'll screw down one front baffle of 3/4" baltic birch, then laminate another layer on top of that with the green glue. I'll then use a long laminate trim bit on my router to get the baffles perfect with the edges of the box - since I only have a circular saw I'm sure they won't be perfect without some trimming.

You can see in the shot one box is covered with Bubinga veneer, after I get the new baffle on, I'll re-do both enclosures with the Bubinga. After putting down the veneer I'll cut the driver holes and use the router to cut a 30 degree bevel edge.

Thanks to my wife for not throwing a fit while doing all this on the kitchen floor!

• wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Your ingenuity is surpassed only by your wife's tolerance or love.

Well done, Turbo!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TweakGames
      • Jan 2007

haha I have an FC also. Took me a sec to see if I was on the rx7club.com forums or the htguide. Weird.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
        • Nov 2006

I'm always running into rotary guys on audio forums I'm BOOSTD 7 by the way, the guy who owns rx7club ... so you better tell me how awesome my work is!

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Your ingenuity is surpassed only by your wife's tolerance or love.

Well done, Turbo!

Ain't that the truth! We've all been there. One day your workshop will come!

Turbo, if I were you I'd use ordinary woodworker's glue to laminate your baffles. Roll on an even layer with a mini foam paint roller and screw 'em together (keep the screws away from where you're going to route). I'd be aiming to anchor the baffle to the box as solidly as I could - woodworker's glue will give you a stiffer joint than the sealant will.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Speaking of a tolerant wife................

She may be happier than I when I’m done with the ‘Twins’!

(Shush........I don’t think she realizes I have plans for two 10" subs in the works for when I’m done with my Nat P’s)
            Attached Files
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• cotdt
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TurboFC3S
              I'm always running into rotary guys on audio forums I'm BOOSTD 7 by the way, the guy who owns rx7club ... so you better tell me how awesome my work is!
              unrelated, but have you pimped up your car stereo system as well?

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                Speaking of a tolerant wife................

She may be happier than I when I’m done with the ‘Twins’!

(Shush........I don’t think she realizes I have plans for two 10" subs in the works for when I’m done with my Nat P’s)
                Nice, gotta be careful when using the dining room table as a workbench. Leave a mark and you'll hear about it for decades

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cotdt
                  unrelated, but have you pimped up your car stereo system as well?
                  Sure, actually that's how I started in audio stuff really. I competed a little bit back in the early 90's, in a RX-7 of course I was using Madisound component sets ... kinda trend-setting in mobile audio at the time.

Now my '95 is in the process of getting a nice system. I have 3 Adcom GFA-4402 amps to use - saved from back in my competition days. The front will be an actively crossed 2-way, probably a single 12" sub. My '91 vert has a nice simple system, 2 way compents for the front and 10" hidden under where the top drops. Then my '87 is totally stripped, track only :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"