X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Branwell
    • Dec 2005

Small note….

I measure 10 degrees off axes, as the measurements are very close to on axes measurements, minus the usual baffle diffraction issues ( I don’t want the DEQX compensating for baffle diffraction. Doesn’t sound good ).

branwell

Comment

• Andy_G
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cjd

They've never heard a live trumpet blaring into their face from a hundred meters out.

C
      A mate of mine bought a new trumpet the other day, and wanted to audition it in my lounge room... ... crickey, mickey.... I need new ears !!

And if you have good flat speakers, Dianna Krall and her band WILL be all in the right places !!! ;-))

Comment

• Branwell
        • Dec 2005

Hay AJ,

Looking at your post up higher…..

Re non flat CD players. If they sound more like the real thing, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
        Re Adding distortion. I got the metal, but keep coming back to paper.

My goal in DIY is to try to recreate the sound of real music as closely as I can in my listening room, and anything that gets me closer to that goal, regardless how far of the path, is welcome…..for me its about the musical result. I trust my tappin feeet. :banana:

What my intellect says about it is besides the point.

branwell

Comment

• Andy_G
          • Jul 2005

Basic tenet: to reproduce a sound so it will be heard the same as the original, your speakers have to reproduce the sound as close to the original as possible. This means flat response "IF" the cd was recorded properly.
          (and a whole lot more things as well)

If you intentionally put dips etc in the reponse curve, you will be altering the relationships between fundementals and overtones, hence altering the "timbre" of instuments and vocals etc.

But if that sounds "better", hey, thems your speakers ;b>

Comment

• Nathan P
            • Mar 2006

Real music isn't flat, but it isn't recorded flat either. Thus, your speakers are flat so that the natural frequency differences in the recording come out, instead of those in your speakers. Bose uses this trick all the time, they tailor the response to make certain frequencies stand out, and to the untrained ear it sounds good.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Pretty much ALL mass-market consumer speakers use tricks to make them stand out in a showroom (not just B*se). Usually a 2-3dB drop through the upper midrange (the irony being this makes dialog harder to understand), bloated bass that peaks around 50Hz, and a tweeter with a rising response from ~8kHz on up, peaking often 3-4dB up.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cotdt
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                Pretty much ALL mass-market consumer speakers use tricks to make them stand out in a showroom (not just B*se). Usually a 2-3dB drop through the upper midrange (the irony being this makes dialog harder to understand), bloated bass that peaks around 50Hz, and a tweeter with a rising response from ~8kHz on up, peaking often 3-4dB up.

C
                That's why we DIY !

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"