X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmoeller
    • May 2006

B&W 800 Series Cabinet Construction ???

I have grown to like the looks of the lower section of the B&W 800 series loudspeakers. It made me consider the cabinet construction techniques that they use. After poking around on their website I found some interesting disclosures about the internal bracing.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has a guess about the curved sides or baffles. The sides look exceedingly thick. I have seen some of the builds here with curved sides using bendable plywood and the like. Could this be a similar construction with more layers.

I'm not too concerned with the "eyeball" portion. Just really like the look of the thick well finished side panels.

Thanks,
    M
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Yes. They use multiple, damp plies as shown in the 800 series book/catalog.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

The free B&W 800 introduction dvd has a movie on it where you can see how a big press forms the thick sides.
      Last edited by TacoD; 05 February 2007, 13:40 Monday. Reason: my english is not that good.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
        The free B&W 800 introduction dvd has a movie on it where you can see how a big press forms the thick sides.
        Sounds readily adaptable to DIY techniques.... NOT! :W
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mmoeller
          • May 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Sounds readily adaptable to DIY techniques.... NOT! :W

What would be a DIY technique to do a multiple curved plywood laminations. B&W mention 38mm or about <1.5" thickness?

I've see guys here do bendable plywood, 2 sheets, on the sides of the curved RS 3-way. Would a similar process be acceptable? Mabey a bending jig of somekind, ribs and straps?? Would it require too much humidity and heat control to be feasible?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Bendable plywood is almost an Oxymoron.

What I have seen done and have done myself is kerf cutting the plywood, clamping around the spars, then filling in the kef cuts, in my case with epoxy. The techniques using thinner cuts must relay on building up a layer with multiple thin sheets.

For now, I'll probably just stick with the easy stuff, like Avalon Klones.

Or no box at all- even easier!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mmoeller
              • May 2006

Bendable plywood is almost an Oxymoron.

What I have seen done and have done myself is kerf cutting the plywood, clamping around the spars, then filling in the kef cuts, in my case with epoxy. The techniques using thinner cuts must relay on building up a layer with multiple thin sheets.

For now, I'll probably just stick with the easy stuff, like Avalon Klones.

Your probably right. Keep It Simple Stupid rule really should apply here

Interesting topic though. I thought about the thin layers of "Bendable Plywood", and what could be used on a DIY level to laminate them on a form. Mabey a vacumm clamping system. Could almost treat it like veneer, just a bunch of layers. Eh... what do I know.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

This is why bender-board or wiggle-wood was invented. We have several examples of projects being built with it. 2 layers of ply with the grain running in the same direction. The laminations are put together with a flexible glue.

Prototrax's RS TMWW

Images not available

Outfitter's Modula MTs
                I'm sure that I know the answer, but I think it's worth asking anyway. Should I add another shelf brace to the inside of the enclosure? My dilemma is that I am dangerously low on internal volume. Right now I am exactly at the necessary volume for the speaker. From the base to the brace is 9.5&quot;. I was thinking I could

Images not available
                Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:42 Monday. Reason: Update urls and remove broken image links

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mmoeller
                  • May 2006

Would it best to bend the sheets as they are attached to the sides of the bracing, as the pics above? or mabey pre-bend? These sides look like less than 1", would there be a limiting factor for thickness of the laminate?

I know that wood and metal have "memory" or "bend back". Does the flexy stuff exhibit this as much, once laminated? If it was pre-bent would it have to be very accurate to the final dimensions, because it would not bend once laminated? Would it be wise to "over bend" slightly? Would laminate thinckness effect these as well?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

You can't prebend wiggle-wood, it has no 'memory', so it just flops around.

Yes they laminate up several layers, one at a time. Each layer is 3/8" thick. First layer is usually held on with glue and mechanical fasteners, subsequent layers are just glued on.

Wetting it helps with tight corners. It's pretty easy to work with, a bit on the $pendy side though....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2004

Except when you want a curved baffle like the Jamo dipoles.

Comment

• mmoeller
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        You can't prebend wiggle-wood, it has no 'memory', so it just flops around.
                        I guess I meant "pre-form" or "pre-laminate". Where in you would create the bent lamination prior to afixing to the structure. I would assume that once the "wiggle-wood" was laminated that the wiggle would not wiggle so much any more. Just a question of, would it be easier to create a bent 1.5" lamination as above, or ahead of time on a jig??

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

A zillion years ago when I made something similar, I put the layers on one at a time.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• speedle
                            • Dec 2006

It's nice to know there are other people my age here.

Seriously though, my next set of MT's have GOTTA curve somewhere! 8O

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"