X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spanky Ham
    • Jul 2006

Midrange Domes?

After looking at the midrange domes that are available now and in the past, it got me to thinking. What are the limits of dome sizes? It looks to me that if the RS52 was a little larger it might be a much more useful driver.
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

there's a 3" accuton dome. the 2" tested very well, so i bet the 3" is even better.

Comment

• bratislav
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cotdt
      there's a 3" accuton dome. the 2" tested very well, so i bet the 3" is even better.
      If you venture into that price range it is impossible not to mention ATC SCM75-150 'super' dome (also 3 inch unit).
      From around 400Hz upwards it is really hard to beat ... Low distortion, high sensitivity (96dB/1W), almost unlimited SPL (will nudge 120+dB in peaks), no directivity problems, first breakup around 4.5KHz or so.
      Ugly looks and horribly sticky coating that attracts dust and fluff aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've learned to close my eyes when listening

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bratislav
        If you venture into that price range it is impossible not to mention ATC SCM75-150 'super' dome (also 3 inch unit).
        From around 400Hz upwards it is really hard to beat ... Low distortion, high sensitivity (96dB/1W), almost unlimited SPL (will nudge 120+dB in peaks), no directivity problems, first breakup around 4.5KHz or so.
        Ugly looks and horribly sticky coating that attracts dust and fluff aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've learned to close my eyes when listening
        yes, but that sticky coating is annoying. i've seen dead flies and wasps stuck onto the dome. not my cup of tea...

Comment

• Spanky Ham
          • Jul 2006

Thanks guys! I knew about the other drivers. Unfortunately, the ATC is a little pricey for me. I guess it is possible. Now, if PE could just give us a RS75 and a RS16 for a good price.

Comment

• Habs4life
            • Apr 2006

Vifa makes the D75MX 3" dome which is used in the PMC IB1 monitor speaker.They use it with LR4 xovers at 380 and 3.8k.It may have been discontinued though so might be hard to find. http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/ib1.html
            They use the ATC's in their more expensive models.
            Last edited by Habs4life; 19 February 2007, 17:48 Monday.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
              • May 2004

Checking at the Tymphany site, the Peerless-vline D75MX appears to be available. I believe it was used in the Coincident Total Victory. 76 bucks at Madisound.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                • May 2004

Oh, and someday, the Dayton RS90 may come to fruition.

Comment

• WillyD
                  • Feb 2006

Yeah, I heard they are still working on it. It should be a neat driver...

Comment

• stinems
                    • Apr 2006

The Usher 9845 dome mid (~$70) is kinda largish. Highest you could use it is about 3khz due to its 150mm flange diameter (and assuming you use a neo tweet), but it looks like it can go reasonably low. Of course it depends on how loud you you listen, Usher seems to think you can use it as low as its Fs, which is 400-500hz. Good dispersion, pretty low 3rd order harmonic distortion.

FYI, PE has the .frd and .zma files posted.

Cheers,
                    Sam

Comment

• kgveteran
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
                      yes, but that sticky coating is annoying. i've seen dead flies and wasps stuck onto the dome. not my cup of tea...
                      :rofl:
                      Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Habs4life
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                        Checking at the Tymphany site, the Peerless-vline D75MX appears to be available. I believe it was used in the Coincident Total Victory. 76 bucks at Madisound.
                        Yes I believe Coincident uses the same unit as PMC use.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"