X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColoradoTom
    • Feb 2006

Rookie Dumb Questions

Ok, so here I am one of the noobs, and let us postulate that Jon creates a final design for the M12ta and decides to use Accuton units. My question is this, in this scenario I will be spending nearly $1000.00 US on two tweeters and two midrange drivers :E . Since I’m fairly new at this I don’t have any measurement tools to test the speaker drivers themselves. How confident am I going to be that the units are fairly well matched from the distributor?

Second question is this, if I decided to purchase the equipment to measure things how do you go about creating matched sets. I assume that Madisound isn’t going to be especially happy about me returning a bunch of $250.00 to $400.00 speakers until I find the match I want.

Third, just how closely to things have to match, are there any guidelines?

Fourth thing, doesn’t it seem that the Scan-speak R2904/7000 tweeter with the ring radiator is showing up in a lot of designs recently? I think it is in both the Magico and the Hansen King V.2 and yet I don’t think I’ve heard it mentioned here at all. Is it just a case of too many drivers and too little time??

Thanks in advance............... ;x( ;x(

Tom
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
    How confident am I going to be that the units are fairly well matched from the distributor?
    Not confident at all. They will grab 2 units from a carton and pack them and send them to you. You are relying on the quality control of the manufacturer. You might ask Madisound to hand pick and match a pair for you for a little extra money.

Second question is this, if I decided to purchase the equipment to measure things how do you go about creating matched sets.
    If you only have 2 drivers and they do not measure the same, you cannot do anything. If you have 4 or 6 drivers, you can look at the results of measuring and pick the 2 that match the closest. Hopefully, the 2 that match will be very close to the manufacturer's specifications.

Third, just how closely to things have to match, are there any guidelines?
    That would be a question for Jon!

Chuck

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Here's the deal, to accurately test them you'd need to invest $1000 for measurement gear, then learn how to use it. The learning curve for something like Praxis is a bit steep.

The latest accuton drivers Jon's tested are quite uniform from unit to unit. So I won't worry about them being out of spec.

If there were gross anomalies (like a defective driver) you could diagnose that with a more modest test setup.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ColoradoTom
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Here's the deal, to accurately test them you'd need to invest $1000 for measurement gear, then learn how to use it. The learning curve for something like Praxis is a bit steep.

The latest accuton drivers Jon's tested are quite uniform from unit to unit. So I won't worry about them being out of spec.

If there were gross anomalies (like a defective driver) you could diagnose that with a more modest test setup.
        Thanks Chuck and Thomas....

Sounds like once you get into the higher end designs the manufacturer does a better job of producing within acceptable guidelines. Money wouldn't be as much of a probelm as time to learn - guess I'll stick to my ears for now... they're cheap and I'm reasonably good at using them. :B

Thomas... looks like the weather will be such that I can actually roll out my table saw from within the garage this week!!!

Tom

Comment

• Evil Twin
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Accutons are shipped in matched pairs from the factory.

The ring radiators are nice above 3 kHz, but don't do well lower down; distortion is higher.

Some people like distortion- it catches the ear, adds texture, liveliness....

A better choice from that manufacturer is the 66000.
          DFAL
          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Accuton is like buying Bentley or a Rolls.

If you want to setup a nice low buck test rig, buy the Behringer ECM8000 ($50) send it to Kim G for a cal file ($40). Then buy the M-Audio Moble Pre (~$130 or so), a low buck boom mic stand ($20) and use a freeware test program (Room EQ Wizard) or use TrueRTA ($100). The learning curve for this is minimal and will give you a good idea what's going on.

Kim Girardin
            Wadenhome Sound
            1400 Homer Rd. Suite 2
            Winona, MN, 55987, USA
            Phone: 507-454-8844
            E-mail: kmgrdn@luminet.net

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ColoradoTom
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
              Accuton is like buying Bentley or a Rolls.

If you want to setup a nice low buck test rig, buy the Behringer ECM8000 ($50) send it to Kim G for a cal file ($40). Then buy the M-Audio Moble Pre (~$130 or so), a low buck boom mic stand ($20) and use a freeware test program (Room EQ Wizard) or use TrueRTA ($100). The learning curve for this is minimal and will give you a good idea what's going on.

Kim Girardin
              Wadenhome Sound
              1400 Homer Rd. Suite 2
              Winona, MN, 55987, USA
              Phone: 507-454-8844
              E-mail: kmgrdn@luminet.net

Ordered and on the way...................

Thanks Thomas!! :T

Tom

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"