X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frink
    • Jan 2007

Sonosub question?

I just finished my sonosub and I am getting no bass, just strange sounds like a giant farting popcorn machine. Any ideas why?

TC2000 SVC 15"
    Buttkicker amp
    Pioneer VSX-815 receiver

Thanks in advance.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since you've told us nothing about the design of the sub, it's in-room placement, the receiver settings or posted any FR plots, it's impossible for anyone to comment.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• frink
      • Jan 2007

Hi Thomas,
      Thanks for the quick response, I will attempt to answer some of your questions.

Design of Sonosub - 320 effective liters LLT. I followed all the wonderful sonosub designs in here particularly Parboy's thread.

Placement - right now it is right next to my couch, near a wall, near a doorway far enough from TV to not cause picture disturbance from magnetic field.

Receiver settings - I have tried every xover setting, large, small, yes center, no center, subwoofer yes, subwoofer plus yada yada.

Frequency Response plots? sorry I do not have a microphone or test equipment to get these plots.
      The only sound it makes is a percolating, popping, farting sound.

I do not know what to try next.

It was a fun build.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sounds like a bad amp, or a bad subout signal, or a bad connector, or a bad wire or bad connection to the driver or a defective driver.

You need to provide specifics and lots of them, start off with how are the VC's wired? Then add every other pertinent detail you know.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ecir38
          • Oct 2006

Curious if you had a sub prior to the sono? What kind of reciever? Amp for sono?
          BR

Comment

• frink
            • Jan 2007

Well I have ripped the darn thing apart and I have established that it is not the tube or the 2 dogs. it is not the speaker wire or the subwoofer cable from the receiver so it can only be the speaker, the amp or the receiver.

The speaker makes the same noise while sitting on the table outside of the tube.
            For some reason I think its the buttkicker.

Hi Ecir,
            Yes this is the first sub I have ever hooked up to this receiver, but not the first sub I have owned.

Is there a way to test anything of relevance with my multi meter?
            Last edited by frink; 01 February 2007, 22:49 Thursday.

Comment

• frink
              • Jan 2007

Thomas,
              Its a single voice coil. I am not quite sure what you mean when you say "how are the VC's wired?" other than red to red and black to black.

Can you say NOOB?? Sure you can.

Comment

• Ecir38
                • Oct 2006

How is the bka hooked up to the reciever? Does the light on the bka turn green when you power up and send a signal to it?
                BR

Comment

• frink
                  • Jan 2007

subwoofer preout on receiver to line level input on bka.
                  the light does turn green when it gets a signal from the receiver.

Comment

• Ecir38
                    • Oct 2006

I don't know too much but do you possibly have another speaker you could try the bka on?
                    BR

Comment

• frink
                      • Jan 2007

Hi Ecir,
                      I will try hooking up my "bass module" to the bka and see what happens.

Comment

• frink
                        • Jan 2007

OK, with the bass module (woofer part of a 3 way modular set up) hooked up to the buttkicker the sound is deep and clean.
                        Looks like I might have a bad TC2000. :M
                        sucks to be me.

Comment

• Ecir38
                          • Oct 2006

I don't know how old your driver is but i am sure TCsounds would have good support. Check this out http://www.tcsounds.com/replacement.htm
                          BR

Comment

• frink
                            • Jan 2007

The driver is only 2 weeks old and I just hooked it up today. It almost sounds like something is rattling against the aluminum cone instead of moving it.

Comment

• WillyD
                              • Feb 2006

Just call them up, they'll fix the problem.

Comment

• frink
                                • Jan 2007

Thanks to everyone for helping.

The problem with the TC2000 was the "spacer" had come unglued and was pinching the piece of machined tube (voice coil?) against the center cone of the magnet.

The metallic popping sound was the threaded outer section of the machined tube scraping against the edge of the magnet or spacer, and "popping" up and down one thread at a time and resonating out of the aluminum speaker cone.

Anyway, TC Sounds is living up to their reputation for quality and service, and they are taking the speaker back immediately and will repair/replace the speaker at no cost to me. Everything should be fine in a couple weeks.

My Sonosub is 24"x 55 5/8 overall height. I covered it with a tan/mocha fabric with a pattern so it looks like a giant 60`s tiki lamp.
                                It is too cold to finish painting the endcaps now so it will not be finished for a couple months.
                                I tried painting in the basement, BIG MISTAKE. 8O
                                I created a "spray booth" with tarps and started spraying. It was too cold (48f) and not enough ventilation. I will wait until spring to finish the painting.

Comment

• WillyD
                                  • Feb 2006

Glad that everything will be taken care of.

Comment

• parboy
                                    • Sep 2006

Glad you were able to use my thread for guidance and that TC sounds is taking care of you! You'll love it when it's all back together!
                                    Brian D.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"