X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

Good Price/Performance Center Channel

My soon-to-be-roommate and I are going to be building a sound system for our apartment next semester and we couldn't quite decide on a center channel. Right now I'm in the process of getting enough money to finish my two mains, which are Mark K's RS225/RS28A. We were thinking of building the same design for the rears but with a slightly shorter depth (suggestions welcomed for any cheaper designs). As for the sub I decided on a big 'ol sonosub

My question for you guys is what is a good price performance center channel that would fit well with the system? We're willing to go upwards of $300 or $400, and the size doesn't matter. It's a somewhat large room since we'll be on the first floor which has a 13 foot ceiling. The dimensions I think are roughly 20x10x13, but I'm bad at guessing distances :roll:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tyler
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I think your budget is big enough to go with the Dayton WMTW 3-way.

Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:27 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by WillyD
      I think your budget is big enough to go with the Dayton WMTW 3-way.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...3&page=1&pp=35
      ​
      AHHHH! 48 pages! I better start reading! 8O
      Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:28 Friday. Reason: Update quote
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

You could also go with another of the 225/28A TM if you have room to place it vertically

Modula MT would be a viable surround alternative as well I think.

Of course, you may discover you're really going to use the TM's you have as surround and build a whole new front TMWW/WTMW setup.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Gir
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cjd
          You could also go with another of the 225/28A TM if you have room to place it vertically

Modula MT would be a viable surround alternative as well I think.

Of course, you may discover you're really going to use the TM's you have as surround and build a whole new front TMWW/WTMW setup.
          Heh, I actually have been thinking of that :B

It's a bit of a weird situation, but my roomie and I are actually each building half the system... I have the mains and sub, he has the center and rears, and oh yeah, a 37" HDTV with 1080p. Dave, if you're reading this I love you

But anyways, once we each get some more money we'll each separately finish out our own systems. I'm starting to like the idea of line arrays, but that probably won't happen for at least another year or two. It's all good, though, since we plan to stay in that apartment together for 3 or 4 years.

On another note, will the Modula MT have a good off axis response? I haven't really looked into those at all, but I'm looking for something with a good off axis response since during movie nights there will be some people on the floor and some on the couch. I'd say possibly up to about 20 or 30 degrees depending how I position it.

BTW, size isn't a factor. The tv will be wall mounted about 4 - 5 feet up, sonosub in the left corner with the mains about 3 feet from the tv and about 3-5 feet from the wall. One rear will have to be in the corner (one of those corner couches), and the other will be along an outward facing corner (opens to hallway), so I can position the rear to point into open space.

Are there any speakers that would function well as rears close to walls? Will it be much of an issue to have the rears against the wall? Wouldn't doubling up the rear baffle and some stuffing help with it?
          -Tyler

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

The tv will be wall mounted about 4 - 5 feet up, sonosub in the left corner with the mains about 3 feet from the tv and about 3-5 feet from the wall.
            Then it's a no brainer. Build another speaker like the mains and put it between the mains, about the same distance from the wall. That will give you a seamless soundstage.

Are there any speakers that would function well as rears close to walls?
            Jon has a revised version of the Modula MT crossover for mounting on the wall. I'd say that would be your best bet. Build the boxes according to the main thread in the Missions accomplished section and use this crossover. You'll probably want the version with the RS28 tweeter to match your mains.

Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:29 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

I agree with Dennis - build a third of Mark K's TM as a center, place it vertically.

But it sounds like you may have room for the WWMTM's as mains.

C

Comment

• Gir
                • Dec 2006

But it sounds like you may have room for the WWMTM's as mains.
                Oh, I've got plenty of room, just not plenty of money...that's why I'll have a 5'5" tall sonosub! :B
                -Tyler

Comment

• Gir
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                  ​

Then it's a no brainer. Build another speaker like the mains and put it between the mains, about the same distance from the wall. That will give you a seamless soundstage.
                  Hmmm, perhaps I'll do just that then. It almost seems weird to have a vertical center...

Originally posted by Dennis H

Jon has a revised version of the Modula MT crossover for mounting on the wall. I'd say that would be your best bet. Build the boxes according to the main thread in the Missions accomplished section and use this crossover. You'll probably want the version with the RS28 tweeter to match your mains.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22625
                  ​

Sounds promising!
                  Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:32 Friday. Reason: Update quote
                  -Tyler

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Gir
                    It almost seems weird to have a vertical center...
                    And yet the "classic" horizontal MTM is *horrible* for a center, layout-wise. Unless you don't count physics as meaning anything...

C

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

On a (slightly) different note, I'm buying the components for Mark K's crossover design. It would be great if you guys could verify the components I'm buying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover.webp
Views:	20
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	945194

DAYTON DNR-16 16 OHM 10W NON-INDUCTIVE
                      2xDAYTON DNR-20 20 OHM 10W NON-INDUCTIVE
                      2xDAYTON DNR-5.1 5.1 OHM 10W NON-INDUCTIVE

2xDAYTON DMPC-1.5 1.5uF-250V POLYPROPYLEN
                      DAYTON DMPC-2.0 2.0uF-250V POLYPROPYLEN
                      DAYTON DMPC-10 10uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE
                      2xDAYTON DMPC-15 15uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE
                      3xDAYTON DMPC-20 20uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE
                      DAYTON DMPC-60 60uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE

JANTZEN .90mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR
                      JANTZEN 1.00mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR
                      JANTZEN 1.80mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR
                      JANTZEN 2.50mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR
                      JANTZEN .33mH 15 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR
                      JANTZEN 1.20mH 15 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR

Some of them I picked out to put in series or parallel:

1.5uF + 2.0uF in parallel = 3.5uF
                      20uF + 15uF in paralell = 35uF
                      20 Ohm + 5.1 Ohm = 25.1 Ohm (need 25.0, close enough, right?)
                      unwind .33mH to .30mH
                      unwind 1.80mH to 1.75mH

is 1.20mH instead of 1.25mH okay? Would it make much of a difference at all? And are the types of components I'm using good? Thanks in advance
                      Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:34 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                      -Tyler

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Not to offend, just a strole down memory lane, but ever time I read one of these posts, I just think to myself:

For four years of undergrad (94-98), my roommate and I only had a 1981 19" Zenith console TV, no remote, and wasn't cable ready. And if that wasn't bad enough, for the three years that we lived in the dorms, the dorm doesn't give out cable boxes, so we used a left over one found in my grandpa attic that was from the late 70s. It had a dial channels 1-36 and no still remote. And for a stereo, we just had a cheep bookshelf system, on a shelf up about 6' high.

Not much tv watching or music listening going on.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

My wife and I only had the old hand-me-down TV she got from her dad (built ~1983) for a while. :P But we DID have slightly better audio.

On the parts list, it looks good BUT - take a look at Madisound for some of the inductor values you're looking to "unwind" to. And maybe call 'em and see if they'll wind to spec for you. Great folks over there and I'm pretty sure they wind their own for the house-brand stuff.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Oh, I forgot the the initial VCR we had was a circa ~1980 Quazar top loader with corded remote. It was very retro cool (and free!).
                            - Ryan

Comment

• Gir
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                              Not to offend, just a strole down memory lane, but ever time I read one of these posts, I just think to myself:

For four years of undergrad (94-9, my roommate and I only had a 1981 19" Zenith console TV, no remote, and wasn't cable ready. And if that wasn't bad enough, for the three years that we lived in the dorms, the dorm doesn't give out cable boxes, so we used a left over one found in my grandpa attic that was from the late 70s. It had a dial channels 1-36 and no still remote. And for a stereo, we just had a cheep bookshelf system, on a shelf up about 6' high.

Not much tv watching or music listening going on.
                              I can beat you. Right now we have a 10" TV circa 1980 (maybe older; it only goes up to channel 24, but we have a VCR hooked up to it to get all the channels), with no external audio source. Oh, and it's on top of the microwave, so sometimes the picture goes crazy lol

Originally posted by cjd
                              On the parts list, it looks good BUT - take a look at Madisound for some of the inductor values you're looking to "unwind" to. And maybe call 'em and see if they'll wind to spec for you. Great folks over there and I'm pretty sure they wind their own for the house-brand stuff.
                              I'll definitely take a look at that, thanks! I'll be ordering all the parts sometime next week, so I'll let you know how that goes.

I was also wondering if there are any other crossover designs for a RS225/28A that would have a better off axis response. Mark K's website is down right now, but if I remember correctly there was a pretty good dip around 10kHz when you get to 15 degrees horizontally, and a lot worse as you go out. Are there any crossovers for the Modula MT that have better off axis response?
                              -Tyler

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Gir
                                I can beat you. Right now we have a 10" TV circa 1980 (maybe older; it only goes up to channel 24, but we have a VCR hooked up to it to get all the channels), with no external audio source. Oh, and it's on top of the microwave, so sometimes the picture goes crazy lol
                                Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

Good luck on your project here.
                                - Ryan

Comment

• Gir
                                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                                  Wow, that is pretty pathetic.

Good luck on your project here.
                                  Heh, yeah, not much TV watching goes on in my room...
                                  BUT NEXT YEAR...
                                  -Tyler

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Gir
                                    but if I remember correctly there was a pretty good dip around 10kHz when you get to 15 degrees horizontally, and a lot worse as you go out. Are there any crossovers for the Modula MT that have better off axis response?
                                    That's allllll tweeter. Nothin to do with crossover at that frequency.

Off-axis response above 10k is a number of different issues, including dome size. The best off-axis response comes from the smallest domes. And they don't go low enough to cross to a RS225.

C

Comment

• Gir
                                      • Dec 2006

Ah, it turns out the old link I was using for Mark K's site doesn't work, but the site is still up. Theres a dip at 1.5kHz and at 15kHz off axis of the vertical. The horizontal is great though. I guess at 15 degrees the vertical isn't too bad, so long as I have the sweet spot during the movies I'm sure noone else will even notice =D

[EDIT] Here's Mark's graphs
                                      Horizontal (to the left) 0-15 degrees

Image not available

Vertical off-axis

Image not available​

Image not available​

I think the most anyone is going to be off the vertical is about 15 degrees, and since the horizontal seems pretty good I'm a happy camper :T
                                      Last edited by theSven; 14 July 2023, 22:37 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image inks
                                      -Tyler

Comment

• cjd
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2004

Well, theoretically they should be off-axis ABOVE the tweeter on a center channel (which measures almost identically at 15 degrees off-axis), no? Or are we talking floor-loungers? Seriously, that stuff is actually quite good, could be far worse.

FWIW the ~3dB dip above 10k is a phase plug thing, and it's far more benign (and not really audible) compared to NOT having the phase plug as it is. They did a good job on that tweeter.

C

Comment

• Gir
                                          • Dec 2006

Yeah, I'm more worried about people lounging on the floors, but after hearing your thoughts on it that makes me feel much better about it

Allow me to be a noob for a minute here...define phase plug ^_^
                                          -Tyler

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

You're not going to find speakers that don't exhibit that type of performance in the vertical (well, horizontal MTM's will be good vertically but have worse off-axis in the horizontal than this does in the vertical!) outside of single-driver and probably full line arrays and stuff...

Phase plug is common on metal dome speakers - not really phase plug but phase shield. In this case, it's a dot of felt (?) on the inside of the grille. Some metal domes have much more obvious "things in front of the dome" - often a circle of plastic centered on the middle. It does phase shifts to try to keep sound from entering a bizarre time warp ... er... or something. I had some wine with supper and my wife wasn't able to finish hers so I have a little more and the world isn't quite as simple as it seemed...

C

Comment

• Dennis H
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2002

Wall-mounted surrounds don't need to point straight ahead. Tilt them down so they aim at the ears in the 'money chairs' and the vertical polar response concerns go away. Same goes for the front three if they aren't mounted at ear height. Tilt them so they aim at your ears.

Comment

• cjd
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2004

Dennis, college kids don't have ears that fix themselves in space nicely... could be anywhere between 2" above the ground to about 6' above the ground.

C

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

Yeah, I remember it well, Chris. Still, if you aim the speakers at the seated ear height, they won't be all that far off if you stand up or lie down.

Comment

• Gir
                                                    • Dec 2006

The nice thing is that I can pretty much mount them at any height and angle. I'll be building the stands for all the speakers myself. As long as I have the sweet spot I'm good
                                                    -Tyler

Comment

• Gir
                                                      • Dec 2006

Just curious, is there any kind of special wire to use when putting the crossover together or can I just use regular 14 guage or something?
                                                      -Tyler

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Several of us like to use the 14 and 16 gauge mil spec from

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• digital desire
                                                          • Dec 2006

If you have a local West Marine or Boat U.S., I find the marine wire (very fine condutors, each tinned) nice stuff. Plus, it is awg vs. sae (or vis versa) -anyway- it does run thick, and seems like quality stuff sold by the foot and color.
                                                          Peter
                                                          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Oh yes, marine grade is something I came across some while ago. Good stuff, IMHO.
                                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Gir
                                                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by digital desire
                                                              If you have a local West Marine or Boat U.S., I find the marine wire (very fine condutors, each tinned) nice stuff. Plus, it is awg vs. sae (or vis versa) -anyway- it does run thick, and seems like quality stuff sold by the foot and color.
                                                              Meh, none near me. I live near Harrisburg, PA (Hershey to be exact; yes, the Chocolate town). Would the wire I could pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot work just fine? Or is there really a difference across different types of wires?
                                                              -Tyler

Comment

• digital desire
                                                                • Dec 2006

Gauge and "workability" are the most important factors here.
                                                                The apexjr.com stuff is well regarded.
                                                                The stuff at the HD or Lowe's is probably fine. Get the right gauge 14 or 16 should be more than enough for crossover stuff.
                                                                Peter
                                                                Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Gir
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by digital desire
                                                                  Gauge and "workability" are the most important factors here.
                                                                  The apexjr.com stuff is well regarded.
                                                                  The stuff at the HD or Lowe's is probably fine. Get the right gauge 14 or 16 should be more than enough for crossover stuff.
                                                                  That's what I needed to hear, thanks! :T
                                                                  -Tyler

Comment

• Ecir38
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

Me i just bought a 14 gauge extension cord and stripped it.
                                                                    BR

Comment

• Gir
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Me i just bought a 14 gauge extension cord and stripped it.
                                                                      Ahhh, ingenuity :B
                                                                      -Tyler

Comment

• Gir
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

I ordered the crossover components for one of the mains today. I won't have enough money for anything else until the summer, given the current estimate of $150 for my girlfriend

Ahhhhh, the wonders of being a broke college student...
                                                                        -Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"