X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indygreg
    • Jul 2006

my LLT subs for a the theater

i posted this on another forum but thought it might be of interest here. i have seen this called an LLT (large low tuned) sub. i am using the tc2000 15" drivers.

the only thing better than an LLT is 2 LLT's so i built 2 97" x 36" x 18" boxes using about 700lbs of mdf. inside each one i used braces every 15 inches. many speaker builders use a solid piece of mdf and cut circles out but the idea of cutting 24 circles with a jig saw was not fun so i cut pieces on my tablesaw to the exact dimensions and put them together like this

i assembled them into the boxes like this

each box was has a port tuned using the unibox software to 15 hz.

here is the finished product stuffed with insulation

i had a day in building the speakers but i saved the effort of filling the stage with sand. we will build the stage in front of the subs and they will stay planted firmly on the concrete behind the stage and screen wall.

i had to laugh when it occured to me that early on i debated putting the sub in the center or in a corner. with this 16' long wall of sub i have both

i ordered a crown k2 today to drive this thing. i plan to listen to it with the port open and also with it sealed over to decide what i like.

greg
  • Ecir38
    • Oct 2006

That's pretty sick you need to post this here too.
    BR

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

Wow, that is huge! 8O

I'm not really sure I understand what you are going to do though. You said you only have 2 drivers but there are 4 holes in the front. Or are those the port openings?

Comment

• indygreg
        • Jul 2006

i am on avs all the time but did not know about that forum. i posted it there as you suggested. thanks.

greg

Comment

• indygreg
          • Jul 2006

mike - i don't think i said i had 2 drivers. maybe you saw that on the graph which is for 1 of the two boxes. i considered just starting with one per box and sealing over the other hole.

greg

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

many speaker builders use a solid piece of mdf and cut circles out but the idea of cutting 24 circles with a jig saw was not fun so i cut pieces on my tablesaw to the exact dimensions and put them together like this
            I'm with you! I call them ladder style braces. Much better yield from a sheet, less work and just as strong IMO.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"