X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawg1161
    • May 2006

Questions for a TC Sounds 15" TC2000 SVC Build

Hello to all, Its been awhile since my last post (12" Assassin Sonosub build) After my friend heard how well my Assassin sounded being only a 12" sub he now wants to build one for himself. I will be helping him with the knowledge that the kind HT Guide Members have passed on to me ;x( . Again thank you all !

Heres the build design using sonosub.exe
    Tube is 24.75" I.D. 48.5" tall, 6" (sonotube) port 28" long.
    endcaps will be 1 1/2" mdf inside the tube.

1st question is does the bottom inside endcap need to have a chamfer edge for the sub? or can i just do the cutouts and install the sub? Also does anyone have the cutout size for this sub? online states 14.1". What really is 14.1" mean?

Also the biggest question of all....I need ideas for a plate amp for this build.
    No separate amps only a plate amp will do for this application.

Thank You All in advance awaiting your further wisdom on this one.
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

There's a guy with a 1000 watt PE plate amp that's brand new here: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=36457.0

I just bought the used one from him. For 280 bucks shipped for the new one you'll get a good amp for a good price. Right now they are on sale for 340 plus shipping from PE.

Comment

• Brendan_L
      • Sep 2006

I would measure from the cardboard circle that is in the box it shipped in.

I cut it to 14.1" and it was too large. I cut the next mounting hole at 14" and it fit perfectly.
      Of course, this may have something to do with my routing technique but I did use a Jasper Jig and a plunge router so I can't be off by that much.

I know you said plate amps only, but I'm very happy with my buttkicker amp.
      I'm powering the other one with a Crown CE-2000. The Buttkicker is small enough that you could potentially work it into the cylinder somehow.

I didn't use a chamfer on either sub and it worked fine for me.

I used two layers on the driver face with the front face cut larger than the trim ring. I then glued small pieces of 3/4" plywood in each screw location (on the back) so that the screws would have 1.5" of material to bite into.

Not a sonotube but some photos here if you like:

Comment

• dawg1161
        • May 2006

Thanks for the replies. Thought i would get alittle more help on a plate amp idea ? I understand that everyone is using the ep1500's and so forth. My friend wanted the ease of the crossover. He uses Carver equipment. So if someone HAD to use a plate amp which one would it be? He is not worried about super spl levels. He has heard what my 12" sounds like with a PE 240 watt rms plate amp and it does wonders on my family room which is not an ideal area to watch movies at all.

Please, any advice welcomed.....The key factor is the ease of the crossover.

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

The key factor is the ease of the crossover.
          Then just pick up one of the Buttkicker BKA-1000 amps. Sure it is external, but other than that it should suit him fine.

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Me, Brendan, and many others have used them successfully.

Comment

• dawg1161
            • May 2006

Okay WillyD thats a start, Thanks. Does this setup require that much power? I really do understand what we are building but all that power is really not needed is it ?

I am sorry to sound so stubborn about this and by no way am i trying to sound like i know everything but i just don't have the vocabulary. Just for %$^&$ and grins in my language would my friend be happy say with an adire 380 watt amp? or anything similar or will that not be enough power to drive this sub in this set-up?

Comment

• WillyD
              • Feb 2006

I guess I just feel that if you're going to build a big TC-2K sonosub, you might as well spend ~$250 and get a good amp for it.

Comment

• dawg1161
                • May 2006

Thank You, I will show him the amp that you suggest?

Comment

• warnerwh
                  • Jan 2006

I'm not sure what you have against the more powerful PE plate amps. They are very good amps. Btw the guy who's ad I posted sold both of his already but they are still on sale at PE. Those are actually decent amps with good output power. The 500 watt amp is only 240.00 plus shipping. With that sub I'd want as much power as I could afford. I think the smaller PE amp could end up clipping. Remember only increasing the volume 3db, just a bit more than audible, requires a doubling of power and bass sucks power like there's no tomorrow.

Comment

• WillyD
                    • Feb 2006

With those PE plate amps, he'd have to change the built in HP because as is, the FR drops quickly at 19-20Hz, IIRC. The FR graphs are available on the PE product page.

Comment

• dawg1161
                      • May 2006

So what i'm trying to understand then is to purchase a home theater receiver with the lfe out, run that to another amp (non plate amp) wire to the sub and then i don't have to worry about anything? My friend is now leaning towards the Buttkicker amp. Will this amp have any shortcommings that i need to be aware of like the plate amps?

Thank You for bearing with me on this but i don't understand why they do this to a sub amp(plate amp) when what we are striving for is low bass?

Comment

• WillyD
                        • Feb 2006

So what i'm trying to understand then is to purchase a home theater receiver with the lfe out, run that to another amp (non plate amp) wire to the sub and then i don't have to worry about anything?
                        Correct. LFE Out->Amp input. Thats it. Just tell him to pick up the Buttkicker, they work great for this application.

Comment

• dawg1161
                          • May 2006

Okay guys i trust your judgement on this forum. Today i paid 240.00$ for a new Buttkicker BKA-1000 amp.So that has been taken care of. Haven't received the sub yet just purchased last week so hopefully by the end of next week i will get it. It showed they were in stock so i'll keep my fingers crossed. Should i be somewhat worried i have been reading on the forums and a couple of people have had problems with their subs? It also shows that TC Sounds does stand by their products though so i will try and not worry. Just that its alot of $$$.
                          Anyway also picked up the sonotube and sono port now just have to go get the mdf, i figure 3 sheets 4'x8' should be enough. I already have enough left overs from my last progect. Again thanks for your help i will keep you informed of the progress.

On a funnier note my friend hasn't seen the sonotube yet i don't think he realized just how big it is up close......Can't wait to see the look on his face.................

Comment

• digital desire
                            • Dec 2006

You're gonna love that amp.
                            Peter
                            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• WillyD
                              • Feb 2006

It showed they were in stock so i'll keep my fingers crossed. Should i be somewhat worried i have been reading on the forums and a couple of people have had problems with their subs? It also shows that TC Sounds does stand by their products though so i will try and not worry.
                              That was the only TC-2K problem I had heard of so far. And as he noticed, TC Sounds stands by their product and they do have good service/support (albeit they are a bit understaffed/have a ways to go).

Comment

• dawg1161
                                • May 2006

hello again, just a quick question: when i did my sonosub i used 1 1/4" dowel rods for the legs....my friend would like to use something bigger (2" or 3" ) any ideas would be very helpful. we are getting real close to finishing this sub we glued up endcaps today and will line the tube with batting tomorrow. thanks again guys.

Comment

• Brendan_L
                                  • Sep 2006

From your earlier question, make sure you set the front speakers to small, or you won't get anything out of the LFE on the receiver.

As to your current question, you are asking what kind of larger dowels you can use?
                                  You could go square: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9941 or some other prefinished feet: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16439

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

You can buy dowels that big but they're $pendy.

PVC pipe that size is cheap, use solvent to clean off the printing and given them a coat of paint.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dawg1161
                                      • May 2006

thank you for the suggestions, Thomas you are correct as i ordered 2" dowel rod.
                                      Atleast i'll have enough leftover for the next project.
                                      Again Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"