X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

need a little clarification of directionality

Im a little concerned about the directionality issues associated with ESLs. With line arrays (which are basically acting as a single acoustic transducer across their length) they are completely dead outside of their length (above and below). Would an ESL operating at 20khz (assuming the panel is 12" wide) throw a 20khz wave that is 12" wide or would it be less than the width of the speaker? Couldnt I combat the directionality of the ESL by making a very large width driver (say 48") so I could have a wide wavefront, and move around in that *large* sweetspot?
  • Tommythecat
    • Nov 2005

It wont "throw a wave" as we imagine with woofers/pistons and low-frequency waves. You're going to get a beaming polar pattern, a bigger panel is only going to make it worse, lower.

Comment

• thadman
      • Jan 2007

?im just comparing the concept to a line array (as it should behave horizontally as it does vertically) but shouldnt it have energy directed at you across its entire width...and once you were outside the width of the speaker you would have almost no output.
      ___
      | __
      | __
      | __>
      |
      | __->
      | __
      | __
      |__

(I couldnt get this picture to come out right, imagine that as you graduate closer to the center the lines radiate farther outward)

The horizontal lines are the on-axis energy (sorry...I couldnt make a curved line just try to imagine it) and the vertical line is the ESL panel
      _____________>
      |
      |
      |
      |
      |
      |
      |
      |____________>

Outside of the on-axis energy, there should be virtually no output. Which of these is the correct drawing?

Which one of these is correct? As I understand, a vertical line array behaves like this:

(no output above)
      ___________________> (sound coming at u)
      |
      |
      |
      | <------line of speakers in a vertical line
      |
      |
      |
      |___________________> (sound coming at u)

(no output below)

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It would be nice were you to create a single thread about your potential ESL project. Then you could place all you questions there, as opposed to starting a new thread for every question you think up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• thadman
          • Jan 2007

Sorry Edit the title if you wish, and this can become my dedicated ESL thread

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

You've been asking a lot of similar questions lately. Pictures will answer your questions better than words. You can model the polar response of lots of kinds of speakers, including ESLs, with the tools at the FRD consortium. The Radiation pattern tool is the best one for this job. You'll need Excel and you'll have to install the Analysis Toolpack and VBA (not installed by default with Excel) for the FRD tools to work.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"