X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jquin
    • Dec 2006

Is Shielding a W22 Possible?

Hi All
    I am looking at using W22 in my HT system but I believe that they don't have a shielded version right?
    Well with the advent of LCD TV shielding in becoming less relevant but for the time being it is a problem for me.
    Anyhow what's the best way to shield a speaker?
    I of course don't want to mess with magnetic field of the driver and introduce distortion esp. for a W22.
    So is it possible to do something like sandwich some aluminium foil in between layers of MFD to make shielded walls for the speaker or is this just crazy talk?

I guess the other option is to choose a shielded driver that would compliment the W22 in a HT system. What would RS225 be like?

Anyway enough newbie ranting for now.

John Quin
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Apparently, yes it is possible:

Keep in mind that it will change some of the driver parameters, so it would be best to re-measure the driver after installing the shield magnet. If the drive parameters aren't changed too much, it might take a very small tweak to an existing design. If they're changed more, it might take more work.

It's certainly possible to shield a speaker box- you can search this forum for other instances of that. Aluminum foil won't work- it would take something like steel or iron.

The RS225 would be a good driver- there are a few projects out there that use it. As far as I've read, it probably has better bass but worse midrange, compared to the W22.

Hope that helps!
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• jquin
      • Dec 2006

Thanks
      This looks like the way I will go

Regards
      John Q

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"