X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

How to use a car amp in the house?

I have a class D car amp that has a 90Amp fuse.

I've seen the radio shack AC to DC adapters that are 10-20AMPs.

What is the best way to get to use this thing indoors?

I want to power a JL Audio sub.

I have basic understanding of electricity...

Will a home fuse of 20Amp be able to produce 80-90amp through an inverter, just by the fact of lowering the 120V to 12V will I get 10x the Amp in reality?

Any specific parts you can suggest?

Thanks
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

you can use a computer power supply

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Sell the car amp. Buy an amp that will work with your house electricity. Do a search for plate amps at partsexpress.com. Be sure to use the link above to do your shopping at PE :T

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

you would need multiple power suplies on multiple curcuits

this would be very expensive, unreliable, and energy ineficient

buy a plate amp

the jl sub is also a bad idea
        the Fs is too high for "home theater" use
        its better than nothing but far from ideal
        you may just want to look at a kit from PE

Comment

• cobbpa
          • Apr 2005

I agree with what everyone else has said about keeping the car amp out of the house.

What JL sub? Some may be worth the work, some are not.

Comment

• Fryguy
            • Apr 2006

It's always not worth it to do this.

Just buy a behringer a500, or ep1500 and get more power than your car amp makes in a safe, usable manner.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cotdt
              you can use a computer power supply
              Not for very long...

Car amps can draw a lot of amperage. Computer power supplies can not deliver that. They may have other problems since they're switching supplies.

If you want to test a car amp out, there are solid 10+A 12V power supplies you can buy. However, a quality 12V power supply to run it permanently costs MORE than just buying a quality power amp like the Behringer A500.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• eisenhower
                • Oct 2006

get a car battery and a charger for it.

Comment

• joecarrow
                  • Apr 2005

That's actually not a bad idea- but it would be better to get deep-cycle batteries, since they're more able to deliver power for extended periods, rather than just the initial surge that car (starter) batteries are good for. My girlfriend's wheelchair batteries can put out over 500 watts all day long, with peaks of well over 1kw. Unfortunately, it would be well over $200 for the proper batteries and chargers to make that work well, and then you have a lot of hazardous materials in your home.

If you REALLY want to run that car amp inside your house, something like this is a start: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=120-558

Still, I have to agree with everyone who suggested that you should just get a home audio amplifier. It will probably sound better and take up less space.

To answer the original question about if your home circuit will be able to take it- here's how you figure it out.

Roughly, 90amps x 12 volts = 1080 watts of input into the amp.

Your house does 20amps x 120 volts = 2400 watts.

It'll probably handle it, but the power supply I linked to will only deliver 40 amps. It's not 100% efficient, so it will take more from the wall than it gives to the amplifier.
                  -Joe Carrow

Comment

• nikos
                    • Dec 2005

Thanks for all the replies.

I was trying to see if its worth using it as the amp is laying around, without making any substancial purchases... *under $100* I was hoping there was a wall plug converter similar to the small 10A variety from radio shack in larger Amp configurations... No biggie and I definately dont want to have the fumes of the battery every time I charge it....

I think I'll stick to the way I have it now...and maybe try and sell the car amp.

now I'm powering it from the Rotel Amp and it works very well. The digital amp is a little monster and stable at low ohm.

Nikos
                    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• AndrewM
                      • Oct 2000

Well your amp has a 90amp fuse on it, so figure you need to supply that same amount of power.

90amps at 14v (car power) = 1260 watts
                      90amps at 12v = 1080 watts (but you'll lose some max power using "only" 12v)

You're not going to find an AC to DC power converter that can handle that kind of current in your price range. A PC power supply, even the very expensive 1Kw+ models still aren't designed to push out that kind of current across one lead.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"