X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdybnis
    • Dec 2004

HiVi coax

Looks like Hi-Vi put up some specs on their new coax mid-tweeter.

Apologies if this is a repost.
    -Josh
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nope, not a repost....

That's a really strange driver..... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris7
      • Dec 2006

There's an even stranger Hi-Vi "triaxial" coming out soon.

Comment

• digital desire
        • Dec 2006

In theory, how would an arrangement (maybe not this driver though) like this with a W on either side of it make a center? Would the combing effects be present?
        Peter
        Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cotdt
          • Oct 2005

i'm sure people like AJ would be interested in these weird speakers...

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Combing is significantly an issue of how high the drivers on either side end up playing. So yes, probably still an issue here. On my MTM the impact is as low as ~800Hz I think.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• TurboFC3S
              • Nov 2006

Theil is doing a very similar design, with great success. Those HiVi S1's definately have my interest ... they're worth playing with I think.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I can't imagine this one as a low distortion driver. Looks like some sort of adaption of their planar "ribbon" tweeter, which is a distortion generator IIRC. Who knows though, with the tweeter section crossed at 8K it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• jdybnis
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Chris7
                  There's an even stranger Hi-Vi "triaxial" coming out soon.
                  Any more info?
                  -Josh

Comment

• AJINFLA
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
                    i'm sure people like AJ would be interested in these weird speakers...
                    None whatsover. Saw them months ago. Looks like chinese bling junk to me. The right direction but they are just flailing about. That unit covers a range where there needs not be an XO or multiple diaphragms. Probably not real well either.

cheers,

AJ
                    Manufacturer

Comment

• jdybnis
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                      None whatsover. Saw them months ago. Looks like chinese bling junk to me. The right direction but they are just flailing about. That unit covers a range where there needs not be an XO or multiple diaphragms. Probably not real well either.

cheers,

AJ
                      I agree 90%, but...

What non-exotic (<$1000) driver can cover 800Hz to 20Hz without compromising dispersion. Also, since they will probably be cheap to buy they might make good material for experimenting with interesting looking designs.
                      -Josh

Comment

• Chris7
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jdybnis
                        Any more info?
                        The triaxial is called the Trinity 6. Not sure about the details, all I have is this scan from a Hi-Vi ad I found while reading another forum.

There are better photos on the Hi-Vi website, though you have to have great patience for it to load:
                        Attached Files

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                          • Nov 2006

I doubt the mid/tweet co-ax from a Theil 2.4 would test perfectly, but they sound fantastic ... probably in large part due to the point source configuration.

Who knows how these sound, but I'd be willing to give them a shot because they're at least trying to produce something unique - props for that. And if the capture just a fraction of the positive attribues Thiel has, they're worth a listen.

Comment

• gmed
                            • Dec 2006

They actually have a store in Old Town, Pasadena. I can try to see if they have any more info on the Trinity 6.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jdybnis
                              I agree 90%, but...

What non-exotic (<$1000) driver can cover 800Hz to 20Hz without compromising dispersion. Also, since they will probably be cheap to buy they might make good material for experimenting with interesting looking designs.
                              Can cover? I'll reserve judgement on the useablity of a 650 Fs driver down to 800hz when I see some measurements. My XT-25 "Can cover" 800-30k. But I'm sure not going to use it in that range . SPtech is using regular ol' tweeters to cover that range. An Aura NSW2 can cover that range (up to about 16k). Its not too exotic.

cheers,

AJ
                              Manufacturer

Comment

• sliceofhogan
                                • Aug 2005

Klang + Ton (german mag 1-2007) tested the three-way version. It will also be tested in HobbyHifi 2-2007 (don't have it yet). It is sold in europe by expolinear (www.expolinear.de)
                                Response looks horrible btw.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sliceofhogan
                                  Klang + Ton (german mag 1-2007) tested the three-way version. It will also be tested in HobbyHifi 2-2007 (don't have it yet). It is sold in europe by expolinear (www.expolinear.de)
                                  Response looks horrible btw.
                                  Likewise, it was tested in Voice Coil a while back and the response curves looked horrible. No idea about non-linear distortion performance, but my hopes aren't exactly high. Hi-Vi makes some good stuff but they make some poor performers too.

I wish we could get all the cool magazines that the Germans get. K+T is supposedly online, but it's still in German and the purchase routine didn't work for me anyway. (Distortion plots are the universal language) :B
                                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• sliceofhogan
                                    • Aug 2005

Zaph - do like the germans do, start your own cool magazine :B

btw: got the HobbyHifi, graphs look the same (that is horrible)

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

Klang and Ton can be downloaded here: http://www.lloxx.de/KLANG___TON_eMag...magazin.0.html

Just in case anyone wants to start a digital collection.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"