X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lectoid
    • Jan 2007

Concrete enclosures.

Anyone ever heard about this or done it?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Concrete is too lightweight and it's for amateurs. I make all my enclosures from depleted uranium....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gitarretyp
      • Oct 2006

Bah, degenerate neutron gas is where enclosure design is heading :T

Comment

• jquin
        • Dec 2006

I have seen some egg shaped speakers made from concrete.
        The guy made a shape out of wire mesh the kind used in small aviarys I think it was small hexagons about 1/8" in size. Anyway you approximate the shape and then apply the concrete.

The finish was not very accurate however. Not a look to please everyone.

I have heard of others boxing up frames to make sub-woofers out of concrete. Again surface finish is an issue.

What might look good if you have the time/equipment/desire is to grind/polish off the surface with diamond wheel. That would look a but like polished marble. To that end you might want to apply an external layers of decorative concrete with white stone aggregate and a color powder in with the cement powder. When polished that would look excellent. Absolute flatness of the finish would be an issue however esp without special equipment.

Comment

• Gir
          • Dec 2006

Hmmm, that was just posted on hackaday a few days ago...

Anyways, I have also heard of some people who used concrete in their subs, but I think you would only really want to use concrete for small speakers as I would imagine lifting a 300-400 pound subwoofer wouldn't be fun.
          -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Lindahl
            • Dec 2006

I believe GrahamT coated the interior of his Extremis MTs with concrete. Not quite the same, of course. Although moderately small bookshelfs, they came out to 50lbs each, if I remember.

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

omg concrete htib!
              :crazy:

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

One of the guys I work with made a concrete guitar while we were working here in Tokyo. He took it into a store to buy tuning machines for it, and the clerks were rather frightened of him.

He is one of the designer/sculptors who do our façades and rockwork.

It actually played, although he didn't give it high marks for tonal quality.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by gitarretyp
                  Bah, degenerate neutron gas is where enclosure design is heading :T
                  Yeah, but the corresponding signal processor to compensate for the gravity induced doppler shift is so expensive!

BB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"