X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Extended Response Tweeter

I've always wondered about this, but would these really help with giving more life to audio playback? I've never seen any of these made DIY. Anyone with experience?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

More life? How do you define "life" when it comes to audio reproduction? The meat of music is in the midrange and upper midrange - 100hz to 3kHz maybe, if we stretch it. And most of that is covered by soft cones crossed higher than might be recommended to a tweeter that is sometimes picky about how/where it is crossed on the low end (it gets varying reviews of how well it handles its low end). Not sure a ribbon will help that. It might add a nice airy distortion that some people crave.

A ribbon certainly has a different dispersion characteristic than the Vifa tweeter they use, and has flat response beyond where the Vifa does...

It's an interesting addition given the components they use elsewhere, crossover points, etc.

I would have thought there might be other places to put that money than a supertweeter, but hey.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Just out of curiosity, is the "super tweeter" just a ribbon in a small enclosure? As far as creating one, would one just have to make a crossover at like 15k and put it inside the box?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"