X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

determining XO "quality"

So I'm sitting at work tonight getting familiar with Soundeasy Crossover CAD. My first DIY project will use the HiVi M3N and Dayton ND20 in mtm. Now I have not measured the drivers yet, I'm just using the info imported from PE. So I'm not worrying yet about BSC, driver spacing, diffraction, etc. I'm just trying to build a simple XO. I built what I considered a great XO from a FR perspective and phase was nearly perfect (assumes AC is the same for the drivers though). I've included the screenshots for this XO.

After that I decided to use a "textbook" XO using the 3rd Butterworth formula from Vance Dickasons book. This is what the XO values would be giving the Q=.707 and I wanted to compare my first XO values to these and see how bad my amatuer effort was. Well the textbook XO is totally useless. So bad I'm not even gonna post the FR. Now knowing that no XO stays with the textbook formula, how does one determine the quality of "real" XO? The only thing I could think of was plotting group delay, which actually looks pretty good around the XO frequency. I mean if the FR and phase look good what things can I look to determine Q, group delay, ringing, trasient response, etc?

For example my component values for the woofer seem kind of suspect to me compared to the textbook values. Tiny inductors and a big cap?

In the FR graph violet is summed response, brown is woofer, blue is tweeter. In the Group delay graph red is woofer blue is tweeter.

Sorry if I don't make sense, it's 5 in the morning and I've been working for 12 hours.
    Attached Files
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Here's group delay. The low frequency results are not valid.
    Attached Files
    ~Brandon 8O
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Marzen
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
      ...how does one determine the quality of "real" XO? The only thing I could think of was plotting group delay, which actually looks pretty good around the XO frequency. I mean if the FR and phase look good what things can I look to determine Q, group delay, ringing, trasient response, etc?
      Now that you've done your initial model you can build a test box & measure the actual Qb, impedance & a/c. Then import this data into SE and adjust for BSC & phase tracking. Then use the digital filter to give it a listen. If you have two pc's you can use one for the digital filter & the other to take measurements (easier said than done due to lag compensation).
      -Ward
      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
        Well the textbook XO is totally useless.
        Amazing isn't it? Yet there are people... ahh, nevermind. :lol:

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dlneubec
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Hi augerpro,

You need to add some dcr values to represent the resistance of those inductors. Using the default .00100 can throw things off quite a bit.

If you already new this, please ignore this comment! :B
          Dan N.

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Thanks for the comments everyone. And sorry for posting messages when my brain is toast from twelve hours of work :roll:
            Dan this was my first attempt at XO design, so I just guessed at DCR of the inductors. i looked at PE today and put some actual values in. Dropped the woofer level of course, but a little tweaking and the FR looks good again, just down about 1-2 dB or so.

Does anyone know how to calculate Q of the XO? It's not in V. Dickasons book. I thought I saw it in Speaker Building 201, but alas I left that at home so I can't check until I get off work tomarrow. I think it was Bullock's equations I'm thinking of...hmmm I'll do a google search.

While playing with SE you can change Component values by holding down a button and watch the predicted response change from small to large value changes. Several times I got severe peaking at the knee of rolloff. High Q. But I'd like a way to calculate this instead of looking at the FR and trying to see if the knee is peaking or not.

Anyhow, just looking for some tricks of the trade so to speak. Does anyone think the woofer section's L and C values look normal? They just seem so far from what the equations would suggest. Off to google...
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Equations that are based on resistive loads mean nothing when a real speaker has impedance varying significantly as a function of Frequency, due to it's fundamental resonance and voice coil inductance. So, a nominal 8 ohm speaker might peak at Fs in the 40-60 ohm area, drop steadily to an upper midbass value at 200 Hz of 6 ohm, then start climbing to a 20 kHz value of 25 ohms or more. You can make the design problem simpler on paper by using zobel networks to make the speaker load look resistive, but that eats up money in components that most of the folks here don't want to spend. Sometimes you don't have any choice if the fundamental resonance is in an critical region relative to the crossover, or if the driver design has relatively high VC inductance without any Faraday rings to minimize rise with frequency. If you want to use "textbook values", at least use the impedance at the chosen crossover frequency for the filter load.

Also remember Q is inherent in the type of filter and the location of poles or zeros- i.e., the difference between Butterworth, LR, Bessel, etc.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                If you want to use "textbook values", at least use the impedance at the chosen crossover frequency for the filter load.

Also remember Q is inherent in the type of filter and the location of poles or zeros- i.e., the difference between Butterworth, LR, Bessel, etc.
                Thanks for weighing in Jon. Yep i used the Z at the XO frequency. I forgot about Q being inherent to the filter though ops: I've done so much reading the last 2 months I'm not sure if 1+1=2 anymore...

I guess what threw me was the peaking I got at the XO knee with some values. I'd imagine group delay cannot be good when that happens, or linear distortion for that matter. Is that a true statement?

I guess what I'm getting at is if the FR on and off axis is good, Z is acceptable, polar response and driver spacing/phase tracking is good, etc., what things should one look for in the component values that could present a problem that is not obvious to the designer from the various other measurements. Pitfalls or complications, that sort of thing.

If all the measurements/predictions look good, then there shouldn't be any major hangup corrrect? No troll lurking in my XO?
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Off axis versus on axis behavior of your drivers at the chosen crossover frequenc- typical bugaboo is running midwoofers too high, actually having some dips in off axis behavior which shows up in power response. Many "classic" crossover alignments have some destructive interference on axis, and lobing in a vertical axis, also resulting in weird power response.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"