X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJINFLA
    • Mar 2005

*Lots* of CES2007 pics and some interesting drivers

Someone went absolutely nuts with a camera LOL.
    audioxsell.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, audioxsell.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Perusing, came across this brand, which I recalled seeing before. Pretty boxes (but boxes no less). Checked out there site, found these interesting drive units

Check 'em out.
    Too bad they couldn't combine them into a coax .

cheers,

AJ
    Manufacturer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by AJINFLA
    Too bad they couldn't combine them into a coax .

cheers,

AJ
    That's exactly what I was thinking- looks like some pretty good engineering behind those Vivid driver components. Too bad we won't be seeing them at Parts Express or Madisound anytime... if they actually get 44kHz breakup for an aluminum dome tweeter, I think that's a record for that material.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

They look like pods from the Mork & Mindy show.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

Oh, I could drool over some of these- but a lot are worth a good laugh :P

"Copernicus II is incredible. It has to be the singular most self indulgent audio experience that money can buy."

audioxsell.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, audioxsell.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

Hey, Almarro apparently is using the W4-1337s drivers we've been talking about lately...

Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

That's my suspicion, too.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
              Hey, Almarro apparently is using the W4-1337s drivers we've been talking about lately...

http://www.audioxsell.com/community/...o-Products.htm
              If you look closely, it appears to have a black frame rather than the silver one the W4-1337S has. The Visaton Ti100 has a black frame. I'm guessing it's a Ti100.

Jim

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Oh Foo, Jim!

May have to agree to disagree- after blowing up a few photos of that speaker online, and looking at my W4-1337 (which is a darker looking gray than the PE online photo), blowing up some online pictures at the Almarro site of their 4" midrange (as described by them), noting the relative diameter of the phase plug to cone and frame, color, etc, curvilinear profile of cone (used on Tangband, not on the Visaton) I'm pretty confident their midrange is sourced from TB.

Yeah, I really am that anal retentive at times....

And they should use a camera without so much barrel distortion when it's shot wide, or use DxO software to correct the perspective distortion... :W
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  Oh Foo, Jim!

May have to agree to disagree- after blowing up a few photos of that speaker online, and looking at my W4-1337 (which is a darker looking gray than the PE online photo), blowing up some online pictures at the Almarro site of their 4" midrange (as described by them), noting the relative diameter of the phase plug to cone and frame, color, etc, curvilinear profile of cone (used on Tangband, not on the Visaton) I'm pretty confident their midrange is sourced from TB.

Yeah, I really am that anal retentive at times....

And they should use a camera without so much barrel distortion when it's shot wide, or use DxO software to correct the perspective distortion... :W
                  Jon,

You are absolutely correct. ops: I was looking through the pictures posted from CES and it looked black to me but your closeup definitely indicates it's the TB with the silver/Grey frame rather than the Ti100.

So, any news on your measurements yet? We're anxiously awaiting your results!

Jim

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

Last year I had the chance to discuss with the designer of the Vivid loudspeaker drivers, Laurence Dickie when he was in the Netherlands. He also was the designer of the original B&W Nautilus system. We mainly discussed his solution for the voicecoil former, the use of radial stacked neodymium in his motor. The majority can also be read on the website of vividaudio. He also mentioned his catenary dome profile as one of the main contributors for the high break-up mode of the tweeter. He came up with that profile after some numerical analysis in a finite element program.

By the way, the Vivid speakers driven by Ayre and Chapter electronics sounded to my ears very good. Best commercial speakers I've ever heard. And very reasonably priced too, when compared too exotics like Rockport/Avalon/SonusFaber/WilsonAudio/Dynaudio

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                      • Nov 2006

I've always been a Wharfedale fan, I've owned probably 10 different sets over the years. Their new stuff looks nice ...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                        Last year I had the chance to discuss with the designer of the Vivid loudspeaker drivers, Laurence Dickie when he was in the Netherlands. He also was the designer of the original B&W Nautilus system. We mainly discussed his solution for the voicecoil former, the use of radial stacked neodymium in his motor. The majority can also be read on the website of vividaudio. He also mentioned his catenary dome profile as one of the main contributors for the high break-up mode of the tweeter. He came up with that profile after some numerical analysis in a finite element program.

By the way, the Vivid speakers driven by Ayre and Chapter electronics sounded to my ears very good. Best commercial speakers I've ever heard. And very reasonably priced too, when compared too exotics like Rockport/Avalon/SonusFaber/WilsonAudio/Dynaudio

Yeah, reading their site it's clear there was some top flight driver engineering. Hopefully they can translate that into an overall appeal to their end market; reasonable price certainly can't hurt. That was my thought too, seeing the midrange and tweeter drivers, that there had to be some "nautilus" thinking going on- had no idea it was the original guy from B&W!!

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
                          • Dec 2004

Catenary profiles were used by Audax, but only in their textile domes. I wonder how much of a pain it is to form AlMg or Ti foil into a pointy catenary profile.

Comment

• jdybnis
                            • Dec 2004

Maybe there is some disadvantage to the catenary profile like bad phase cancellation in the top octave?
                            -Josh

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2006

Now this is something different:

You don't see many speakers with an automotive style finish.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

True- unless they're from Wilson Audio, who seems to do that exclusively these days.
                                DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• TacoD
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by EDS
                                  Now this is something different:

You don't see many speakers with an automotive style finish.
                                  As I am an Audiotechnology freak (have bought far too many drivers from Per Skaaning) I can assure you those are AT 18H drivers combined with the excellent 9900 tweeter from Scanspeak (also from Skaaning when he was still owning Scanspeak).

Don't know how it sounds . Wilson and Kharma also use automotive paint, I do no like the metalic finish. (I also do not park my car in my living room )

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                    That's exactly what I was thinking- looks like some pretty good engineering behind those Vivid driver components. Too bad we won't be seeing them at Parts Express or Madisound anytime... if they actually get 44kHz breakup for an aluminum dome tweeter, I think that's a record for that material.
                                    I'm not sure what we're going to see at PE with Darren gone. I wonder if its not a ceramic coated aluminum with the break up that high, even with the catenary profile.
                                    The motor makes me think NRT. Him and Donald North share a bit of thinking on transducer design I imagine.

cheers,

AJ
                                    Manufacturer

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2006

Sorry to semi-derail this thread, but is Darren Kuzma gone from Parts Express?????? I didn't know that... I suspected such a thing when I saw the PE designs were being done by someone else, but wasn't sure...
                                      Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"