Are there any advantages to countersinking a subwoofer driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Are there any advantages to countersinking a subwoofer driver?

I'm curious if there's a good reason to countersink a subwoofer driver. A while back I read some drivers are designed to be flush mounted and others not. In my mind at the time I thought the low frequencies wouldn't matter, but maybe they would . If so I should learn how to do this.

I built another sub for my stereo today but have already cut the hole for the driver. Is there a bit I can use to countersink after the hole is there?

Thank You
  • Piotr
    • May 2006

It does not matter if we are talking about out-of-the-box effects such as baffeldifraction. However you need to make sure that the driver is not choked on the inside. In other words the driver need some air around the inside of the mounting hole. The type of chassis and the thickness of the baffle dictates what needs to be done.

/Peter

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

1. Countersinking does not matter on a sub except for aesthetics.
      2. You can use a rabbiting bit if you find one that is the right cutting depth for your driver. Or you can cut a hole in a piece of mdf the size of the driver's outside edge and then use a template routing bit to cut out the recess.
      -Josh

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by warnerwh
        I built another sub for my stereo today but have already cut the hole for the driver. Is there a bit I can use to countersink after the hole is there?

Thank You
        So how many subs have you built this month now??? 8O
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

Right now I have two that aren't quite done, the total is 3. :

Click image for larger version

Name:	twoboxes.gif
Views:	996
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	847224

The smaller one is a sealed sub for my stereo so I'll have two. I'll finish it today with some stain and varnish I have left over remodeling my flipper house. The large one is for a friend but needs fiberglass, baffles and drivers. Plus I need to go to HD and get more baffle material.

I've been snowed in for two days so had enough time yesterday to build my other sealed. Also I'm going to rebuild the first sealed I did to match the one I just built. I enjoy doing this. It's a challenge but I'm learning.
          Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:28 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"