X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Any mini line array designs?

I'd like to build some smaller speakers for our home theater. Presently we're using some old Legacy Classics as the mains. My goal would be a very dynamic 2 way. Being as these Dayton drivers are so good I could do it for less than what I can sell the Legacy speakers for.

I realize it wouldn't act as a line array but my idea is to use four 5" drivers with four tweeters. If this has been done I'd like to see it. It makes me wonder if it's such a good idea being as I haven't ever seen a commercial design like this. On the other hand it would seem this would make a very dynamic two way.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you want something 'short', use one regular tweeter to avoid comb filtering effects.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

Off hand, I'd think an extended MTM would be more ideal than a short array but one would have to do the arithmetic to figure out where the short line array turns from near field to far field. One tweeter and an array of woofers has a number of problems which makes it difficult to work out an optimal solution.

Comment

• warnerwh
        • Jan 2006

Actually I think Thomas' idea of one tweeter flanked by a pair of woofers top and bottom would work fine. The problem I have with little 2 ways is they sound strained turned up much. It may be possible with an excellent midwoofer to get the range that is satisfactory though.

A few years ago I talked to Rick at Selah about line arrays when I considered buying a kit of his about a short line array. When I brought up the short array he described the problem you mention Josh. It's difficult to remember what all he said and that's why I am asking. It seems like he did design a short array for someone in Canada.

If there's a wwtww design already done does anybody know where I can find it? I've got to build to sealed subs for myself and am almost done with this ported sub. I certainly wouldn't want to run out of speakers to build.

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

I would think you'd strain the tweeter first, but much depends on where you cross. I might look at the RS 3-way designs here in the Mission Accomplished section. Then again I have played my Modula MTM's at 95db average a number of times (peaks well over 100db, probably topping over 110db) with no noticeable strain. Jon's hardcore CE filter is not your standard whimping xo.

Comment

• warnerwh
            • Jan 2006

I'll have to check out the Modula MTM's you're talking about. That will be fine. Super quality isn't the priority. Just decent with good dynamics will be fine for us. We don't really need a three way as bass will be handled by a sub.

I'm trying to give us enough space to put a large tv in. Within the next couple of months I should have the money to do it. The plan is to surprise my wife and daughter.

Josh, how would you describe the sound of the Modulas? I'll print out the entire thread in the Accomplished forum here shortly. Those will probably be adequate with a pair of 7" woofers. Thanks

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by warnerwh
              Actually I think Thomas' idea of one tweeter flanked by a pair of woofers top and bottom would work fine. The problem I have with little 2 ways is they sound strained turned up much. It may be possible with an excellent midwoofer to get the range that is satisfactory though.

A few years ago I talked to Rick at Selah about line arrays when I considered buying a kit of his about a short line array. When I brought up the short array he described the problem you mention Josh. It's difficult to remember what all he said and that's why I am asking. It seems like he did design a short array for someone in Canada.

If there's a wwtww design already done does anybody know where I can find it? I've got to build to sealed subs for myself and am almost done with this ported sub. I certainly wouldn't want to run out of speakers to build.
              Check out the Daytek in Rick's gallery at his website. I think that might be what Rick was talking to you about. Room to grow too.

Jim

Comment

• warnerwh
                • Jan 2006

I'll do that Jim, thanks.

Edit: Is the Daytek known by another name? I can't find a short line array. Thanks

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by warnerwh
                  I'll do that Jim, thanks.

Edit: Is the Daytek known by another name? I can't find a short line array. Thanks
                  I think Rick has said there's no such thing as a short line array. I also don't know anything more about the Daytek than just looking at the picture and thinking that it's be a great starter array since the ribbons are the bulk of the cost. They should be really excellent for home theater use, I'd think.

Talk to Rick. I'm sure he'd be able to shed some light on it.

Jim

Comment

• cobbpa
                    • Apr 2005

As I asked in another thread, this seems like an interesting idea; a couple of ribbons & maybe 4 woofers per side. But, as a few people here say it wouldn't work, I trust that. Thomas says one regular tweeter and several woofers may work? I guess that's basically an MMTMM, which would be pretty neat as well. But that probably wouldn't work well with a planar tweet? (planar, ribbon..I forget which term is technically correct here)

As if I have money or time to be building soon anyway.

Warner: click on "gallery" and they're there.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cobbpa
                      As I asked in another thread, this seems like an interesting idea; a couple of ribbons & maybe 4 woofers per side. But, as a few people here say it wouldn't work, I trust that. Thomas says one regular tweeter and several woofers may work? I guess that's basically an MMTMM, which would be pretty neat as well. But that probably wouldn't work well with a planar tweet? (planar, ribbon..I forget which term is technically correct here)

As if I have money or time to be building soon anyway.

Warner: click on "gallery" and they're there.
                      A single ribbon can work pretty well with a line of woofers provided you plan on optimizing for a set distance. In my experience it sounds like a "big" MTM. I probably would only do it if sometime down the road you plan to add more ribbons and make it a true array.

Comment

• warnerwh
                        • Jan 2006

The Modulus MTM may be just the ticket for our HT. I'm not done reading that thread but at this point it's a good candidate. I also found an MTM on Zaph audio's site.

At this point I just want to try a small simple speaker. I'm having enough trouble trying to just build subs. Line arrays have always intrigued me. The description that users give of the ones you design Rick especially tantalize me. However I've never heard a line array but am suspecting it would be a sound I'd really like.

Thank you guys for the help.

Comment

• Paul W
                          • Oct 2004

A 2.5 MMTMM configuration can provide a great soundstage and good dynamic range with many different drivers. Roll off the uppermost and lowest drivers.
                          Paul

Comment

• warnerwh
                            • Jan 2006

Your WTW project is very impressive. I can't imagine doing all that to build a speaker.

I also like the sound of planars and is one of the reason of thinking of using multiple cones to more proximate that sound as well as being more dynamic. Your 2.5 way is interesting also. My main concern is my lack of electronics knowledge. I think I can make a crossover ok though.

Comment

• Paul W
                              • Oct 2004

Thanks! Building speakers is my therapy. I need a lot of it
                              Paul

Comment

• warnerwh
                                • Jan 2006

It is good therapy. I'm just finishing up my second sub. I have to build two sealed cabinets for my stereo which will be easy but after that I will build us some HT speakers. I've got a sub I can use for the HT system now so we don't need the big speakers we have. They don't have much bass anyway.

The hours I've spent doing these subs has been pure fun. Woodworking isn't a strong point with me but I am learning. It's also very satisfying to build a speaker that sounds good. Yours should be pretty state of the art. Getting good low frequency performance with good output on panels like that isn't easy. Kudos for even trying it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

DayTek

This sounds nice for 800 bucks? Does he still sell this kit?

Edit by moderator to change huge imbeded picture to a link and remove advertising copy.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    This sounds nice for 800 bucks? Does he still sell this kit?
                                    Since Rick has a forum for his products that's a good place for these types of questions

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"