X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nat Ward
    • Jun 2003

REW and Active Setup

Hey guys - was tempted to start an active crossover project this spring/summer and was curious to see if REW could be used to gather midrange/tweeter measurements? I've used it for setting up my sub, just not sure if it's accurate enough to gather higher frequencies, or if I'd need to create a special measurement area for any of this. Plan would be to use some sort of active crossover (perhaps the Behringer unit) and sweep the mids/tweets and play around with slopes/crossover points until I get a response that looks good, but most importantly sounds good. EQ a bit, resweep, etc.

I'm just in the thinking phase now, but was curious to see if REW could be used for this or if I'd need another program. Thanks!
    Nat Ward
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

For what it is REQ is a nice little program. Last time I checked John McCulhay didn't recommend it for higher frequencies. That said it could be used for taking a rough set of measurements.

If you need freeware you might take a look at Speaker Workshop.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• wmilas
      • Dec 2006

I was just about to ask this very question.

I've worked my way through Speaker builder 201, Speaker cookbook and am on Testing Loudspeakers atm.

I figure the best way to start out before I try my hand at building is to measure the (too many!) speakers I currently own and get a feel for how what I hear relates to the different theories I'm learning. I'm particularly interested in off axis lobing, baffle diffraction, ect. Kinda curios on how my particular room affects the speakers too

So what software packages are out there to do this? I'm committed to buying a good mic and having it calibrated. Really haven't research the software that much. I've used REW to setup my current sub and EQ it correctly.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"