Dayton PT2B-8 good tweeter for line array use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

Dayton PT2B-8 good tweeter for line array use?

Is there any better tweeter for a line array that doesnt cost very much money? I know there are much better tweeters out there, but none that are super small (CTC spacing has to be extremely minute to minimize combing), cheap, and can span a long distance. Can these possibly sound good if several of them are used? Would I be much better off building a DIY ribbon?

I will be using (4) RS390HFs/tower + (16) RS125-4s/tower + whichever tweeter
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

My understanding is planars do not comb like a dome would in a line array. The taller the planar the better, assuming the cost is equal.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Not much of a good tweeter for much of anything at all.

Take a peek at the Neo3.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd

Take a peek at the Neo3.
        The Dayton planars are a better solution than the Neo3's. Long ribbons are excellent in a line array because you want reduced vertical dispersion rather than more. The tweeter array gives you the vertical height due to it's length. The Neo3 has pretty good vertical dispersion and would cause a lot more issues with combing.

The Dayton or Silver Flute planars are not the best driver for a high end line array but they are probably the best choice for a budget line array. Neo8's would be good if they didn't take a dump at 16K. A lot more expensive however.

The problem with the the Dayton planars is they need a crossover point no lower than 2.5K which causes spacing issues if you're using anything larger than a 5" driver.

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by augerpro
          My understanding is planars do not comb like a dome would in a line array. The taller the planar the better, assuming the cost is equal.
          The planars have some comb filtering but not to the extent that a dome tweeter has. In this case the reduced vertical dispersion of the planar is an advantage.

Comment

• Rick Craig
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cjd

Take a peek at the Neo3.

Actually it can sound fairly good with the right crossover and system application.

Comment

• Rick Craig
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by thadman
              Is there any better tweeter for a line array that doesnt cost very much money? I know there are much better tweeters out there, but none that are super small (CTC spacing has to be extremely minute to minimize combing), cheap, and can span a long distance. Can these possibly sound good if several of them are used? Would I be much better off building a DIY ribbon?

I will be using (4) RS390HFs/tower + (16) RS125-4s/tower + whichever tweeter
              You can get good results with the Dayton tweeter but be careful about sensitivity matching with the woofers. Do you have measurement capability and crossover software?

Comment

• thadman
                • Jan 2007

Im going to be using a DCX2496 + DEQ2496 + ECM8000 + seperate amps for each set of speakers per tower (obviously)

Comment

• cotdt
                  • Oct 2005

ECM8000? you mean you're going to be using the mic unit as your tweeter?

Comment

• Rick Craig
                    • Jul 2006

Im going to be using a DCX2496 + DEQ2496 + ECM8000 + seperate amps for each set of speakers per tower (obviously)

Sounds like you're good to go.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cotdt
                      ECM8000? you mean you're going to be using the mic unit as your tweeter?
                      Were any drivers even mentioned in his reply? Nope. :T

Comment

• thadman
                        • Jan 2007

Would I be better off building a diy ribbon or going with the dayton planars? Are the dayton planars *that* abyssmal when compared to true ribbon arrays?

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

With any of the low buck planar tweeters you get what you pay for. They're certainly not in the same league as a real ribbon.

One can build DIY ribbons, but that not a simple task.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cobbpa
                            • Apr 2005

This seems like a good place to ask...what's a minimum height to gain the benefits of an array? The Dayton planar is 6 5/8"..would 2 of these and a few RS125s or Peerless 832873's make a worthwhile mini-array, or would the small overall size create bad combing issues? I've heard line arrays once and loved them. In my scenario I can't take up all the space normal arrays do, but would like a slice of that sound. I may be way off track..just asking!

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

Read this: http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/pdf/nflawp.pdf

Simple answer is the woofer array should be at least 70% of the ceiling height in your room. Tweeter height is mostly governed by coverage at the listening position.
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cobbpa
                                This seems like a good place to ask...what's a minimum height to gain the benefits of an array? The Dayton planar is 6 5/8"..would 2 of these and a few RS125s or Peerless 832873's make a worthwhile mini-array, or would the small overall size create bad combing issues? I've heard line arrays once and loved them. In my scenario I can't take up all the space normal arrays do, but would like a slice of that sound. I may be way off track..just asking!

There's really no such thing as a mini-array because it tends to be more like a poorly functioning point source.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                  • Jul 2006

Would I be better off building a diy ribbon or going with the dayton planars? Are the dayton planars *that* abyssmal when compared to true ribbon arrays?
                                  If you can wait and save your $ the true ribbons IMO are worth the extra money. The Behringer equipment will help quite a bit with the Dayton planars so I still think you can get pretty good results if you want to have a more modest budget.

Comment

• thadman
                                    • Jan 2007

I can get a lot of neodymium for next to nothing and I have a friend who owns a machine shop, so other than the design I shouldnt have any issues constructing them.

If I did go the DIY route, does anybody have any tips?

Would a 84" segmented ribbon be a good idea over a single line source? Im afraid the dipole bass array might disrupt the ribbon during low notes.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                                      he Behringer equipment will help quite a bit with the Dayton planars so I still think you can get pretty good results if you want to have a more modest budget.
                                      Can you elaborate a little bit on this one, Rick?

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                        • Jul 2006

I can get a lot of neodymium for next to nothing and I have a friend who owns a machine shop, so other than the design I shouldnt have any issues constructing them.

If I did go the DIY route, does anybody have any tips?

Would a 84" segmented ribbon be a good idea over a single line source? Im afraid the dipole bass array might disrupt the ribbon during low notes.
                                        I've never built my own ribbon but the challenge is to have enough sensitivity for matching the woofer line. Many of the homebrew designs I've seen fall short in that area.

I assume with the Behringer you can decrease the gain on the lowpass section so the sensitivtiy may not be a problem for you.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                                          Can you elaborate a little bit on this one, Rick?
                                          With the DSP EQ and high order crossover slopes it gives you the best opportunity to maximize the Dayton planar's performance. With a passive crossover and no digital EQ it's much more difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"