X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

2.5 way layout question

I know alot of 2.5 ways are in th TMM format, but is there anything wrong with doing a MTMW 2.5 way? As in 2 6.5" mids and 1 8"or 10" woofer, with BSC being accomplished mainly by the woofer.

What I'm getting at is it possible for a noob to build a speaker with most of the performance of a 3way without having to design the much more complex 3way crossover?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

If you are referring to using the 6.5" pair as the "2" in the 2.5 and the woofer as the ".5" in the 2.5, I supposed it would work, but I don't know that it would sound that great.

The other thing is, you will have as many crossover parts in a 2.5 way as you do in a three way. I found that out the hard way.

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Rolex
      If you are referring to using the 6.5" pair as the "2" in the 2.5 and the woofer as the ".5" in the 2.5, I supposed it would work, but I don't know that it would sound that great.
      That's exactly the layout I had in mind. The main thing I'm worried about is 3ways are a different animal then 2ways. I just wonder if this would be a solution for those of us who don't yet have the experience for 3ways but have done 2ways already. Driver spacing would be more of issue here then normal 2.5 TMM where the woofers are relatively close. But I couldn't make any determination on that until I had some baffles and take FRs to look at the BSC and determine XO frequency for the .5 woofer.

I'v also wondered about biamping a 3way. It seems to me the difficulty with 3ways is the component interaction/reactance. So if I designed a 3way (that actually sounded good haha) and then disconnected the woofer from the circuit to be driven by a seperate amp channel, does the XO still work like it's intended? I haven't found a clear answer on this so far. So again I wonder if this 2.5 might be a way around that also.

The devil is in the details, but does anyone see anything obviously wrong with the concept?
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Andy_G
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
        I know alot of 2.5 ways are in th TMM format, but is there anything wrong with doing a MTMW 2.5 way? As in 2 6.5" mids and 1 8"or 10" woofer, with BSC being accomplished mainly by the woofer.

What I'm getting at is it possible for a noob to build a speaker with most of the performance of a 3way without having to design the much more complex 3way crossover?
        With an MTM W a 3-way is a much better approach. Otherwise you will get a lot of interactions between the M's and the W with would probably introduce problems.
        With smooth response drivers, a 3-way is not really a problem. I have used the 3-way linked series in a few designs, and it is really quite easy to work with.

eg http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds...blackwood.html

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"