X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

Triming veneer over driver holes.

It was suggested to me to have a template of the driver layout to overlay and use to cut out the holes for the drivers. Using the 10mm veneer and the pva glue method.
    I do not have any experiance with routers, but would have thought that is what most use, or very carefully go slow with a sharp trim knife?
    Or do you use a template overlay?
    Thanks for helping a newbee.
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • kano32
    • Feb 2006

I'm not sure if this is what you were wanting, but check it out its good info.

Comment

• digital desire
      • Dec 2006

To a "T".
      Thanks!
      Peter
      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
        • Apr 2006

nice trick, but I didn't use a rabbitting bit to create my driver recesses.

Looks like I will have to try that for my next speaker project. My only concern with this technique is I usually have a bit of roughness on the edges of the through hole. I typically use a much shorter router bit to set the flange and don't have any roughness. All bits 1/2in shank.

This seems slick, I may try this on my next project. With this technique you are limited to the flange width (to available rabbitt bits). Nice post though.

Hey I learned something new today, outside of the office.

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

I just went through this. It took a lot of thought, but the idea worked well, if I do say so.

The basic idea is to measure how deep your recess is. That is the largest size the bearing can be on the router bit. I've found the best bits are the plastic laminate bits. They have a fixed bearing on the end that is nothing more then the remaining shaft of the bit.

Now, when the bearing is taller than your recess, grab your grinder, palm sander, vertical belt sander, whatever your choice may be. Grind the bearing down until it will fit in your recess. THen it will act just like a flush trim bit.

I know, manufacturers won't recommend this, but for me, it worked great.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"